Speaker - G12H vs C-90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean teh G12h Classic Lead 80 or a different G12H?

to my ears, the C90 is a little more pronounced in the upper mid/high area, and can be a little overly shrill, or alternatively, thin, depending on the amp and guitar. I find the G12H Classic Lead 80 to be similar to a Vintage 30, but a little smoother and even, without that mid bump of the V30. According to the Celestion website, the V30 is best suited for closed back cabinets and the Classic Lead prefers front mounted open back cabinets. So, to my ears, the G12H is a little more even sounding across the sound spectrum while the C90 is brighter. So, depending on your sound, what you play, what you like, and the other musicians you play with, you might want or need the brighter more cutting speaker.

Personally, I prefer to have a more accurate speaker, that i can use as a "clean palette' to add my EQ and desired tone to, rather than have to EQ out the peculiarities of the speaker's inherint tonal colors. I find whenver I get a Mesa with a stock speaker in it, that it sounds better when I replace the speaker. But, that is just me.

Your results may vary.

Good luck,
Brent

babow2 said:

The G12H...

heritageg12h.jpg
or
g12h.jpg

The Classic Lead 80 is a totally different speaker...

classic_lead.jpg

First I have to disagree a bit with babow2 (sorry about that!) about the C90 and CL80. I don;t find the C90 thin or shrill except when new but after a break in period it gets very fat but not boomy and (to my ears) certainly not shrill. The CL80 has more lows and highs than the C90 but remains well balanced, one of my favorite speaker, certainly for Mesas.

But the question was about a G12H30, a total different animal and a great speaker, very punchy and quite agressive but in a good way. To me it's classic rock tone by excellence, more so than the V30 (I do NOT like V30 at all but it's me).
That said I'm not sure I would put it in a Mesa. First of all you'll need at least two to cope with the output power (except in an F30 or an Express 25) and even 4 in a Mark IV (instead of 1 MC90). Second I'm not sure your Mesa will still sound like a Mesa. Last time I did a speaker test with my guitar teacher I played my F50 on it's own C90, an Eminence RWB of mine and my teachers G12-65s. Certainly good tone on those but less of a Mesa, and surprisingly close to his Ceriatone Overtone Dumble clone.

Of course since the proof is in the pudding trying some yourself is your best option but watch your wattage!

I've got a G12H30 in a Fender Blues Junior and it improved that amp's tone quite a bit. And a friend of mine tried it with his Marshall VM 50W head and liked it so much that he ordered one.

screamingdaisy said:
babow2 said:

The G12H...

heritageg12h.jpg
or
g12h.jpg

The Classic Lead 80 is a totally different speaker...

classic_lead.jpg

I love the combination of G12H30s with the Stiletto.

boogiebsmt.jpg

That said...BE CAREFUL what G12H 30 you're looking at. The G12H 30 "70th Anniversary" is a totally diff speaker than the G12H30 Heritage....and there's roughly a $100 difference per speaker. I've tried both with Marshalls and the Stiletto and while the 70th Anny is a good speaker, IMO the G12H-30 Heritage is THE speaker...smoother mids, "woodier / thicker" tone, etc. IMO it's a great match for the Stiletto as it tames the brightness but still let's it cut thru the mix well. My G12H-30 are in a Marshall AHW cabinet.

As for the comment that Celestion Heritage's might not let a "Mesa sound like a Mesa"...well, I don't think the Stiletto sounds "like a Mesa" anyway. I bought mine because I felt it out-Marshalled my Marshall. 8)

goestoeleven said:
That said...BE CAREFUL what G12H 30 you're looking at. The G12H 30 "70th Anniversary" is a totally diff speaker than the G12H30 Heritage....
Wise precision! My post was about the 70th anniversary.

I run my Maverick through a 2 x 12 cab with G12H Heritage speakers. Does it sound like a Boogie? Well, the Mav is one of the most "non-Boogie" Boogies I know of and it sounds just great with the Heritage speakers. A lot more character than with the stock C-90 (whatever that means...)

Just so you guys know. According to Dave at Avatar speakers.
A C-90 and a Classic Lead start out as the same speaker. Boogie modifies the voice coil slightly and calls it 90 watts, but it comes from the Celestion factory as a Classic Lead.

I don't think Classic Leads are Dark sounding at all! The LSC 1 -12 cabinet is kind of boomy at times, but I have put Classic Lead 80 in a Recto 2x12 clone and it sounds great (nice and chimey). I have a V30 and a Classic Lead in the same cabinet and everyone says it sounds great.

loudguitars said:
Just so you guys know. According to Dave at Avatar speakers.
A C-90 and a Classic Lead start out as the same speaker. Boogie modifies the voice coil slightly and calls it 90 watts, but it comes from the Celestion factory as a Classic Lead.

I don't think Classic Leads are Dark sounding at all! The LSC 1 -12 cabinet is kind of boomy at times, but I have put Classic Lead 80 in a Recto 2x12 clone and it sounds great (nice and chimey). I have a V30 and a Classic Lead in the same cabinet and everyone says it sounds great.

They're different speakers. The MC-90 has a heavier basket and a large vent in the back. I'm not sure what the other differences are, but the MC-90 isn't based off the current Classic Lead, but rather an earlier Celestion that both speakers descend from.

Further, the Classic Lead has more high end that the MC-90.

Latest posts

Back