Speaker for a MarkIIA Combo.//Got an EVM 12L

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a EV Force 12 and a EVM12L on the target. I am going to pull the switch...

Thanks everyone who has contribuited to this post. :D

I'll let know how it goes.

So, I have a EVM 12L now on the combo, the original speaker.

To be honest the tone is a whole world apart from the Celestion tone. Where the Celestion are middy and extremely well detailed in this part of the spectrum, the EVM 12L is just the opposite. My first impression was like if all the body from the tone was removed.

Now I am getting used to the tone. Cleans are amazing, just like they were with the Celestion, but in a different complete way. Less midds and more bass and treble, with an expanded range.

The dirts are quite different from your classical Marshall, without the midd spike...

The EVM 12L gives much less bass at same setting of the bass knob than the Celestions. But the Celestions just couldn't take anymore bass at 2 and the EVM just keeps delivering up to 10, where the tone is almost like and octavia.

Hi All,

Here are useful informations and advices here about the "suitable" MKIIA speaker - Thanks !

My MKIIA has an EVM12L too. But as I am thinking about building an extension cabinet for it (open back), I was tempted to use the EVM15L, but it was before reading this topic...

Otherwise, a friend has several ALTEC 417-8 h (AFAIK) so it could be an alternative, as the C12K Jensen, probably... But in the past, I occasionally played a Vibroverb, a classic 50 &x15", and I remember that these speakers were very pleasant sonically : rather deep, smooth and warm... So that's why I am more akeen to go for a 15" cabinet... I may be wrong !

Any of you experienced the EVM15L ?

A+!

Waking up an old thread. I just got a Tone Tubby Purple Haze, brand new model. It seems to have a lot of brightness if you so dial it in with the treble and/or presence controls. Has anyone tried other Tone Tubby speakers such as the Red, Black, Nashville or 40/40?

I have an MS-12 as the standard speaker (1x12 combo), it sounds great. I think mixing different speakers adds something extra.

breogan said:
igfraso said:
Yes! It is a refinement of the Tweed Bassman.

Really? I always thought the mark IIA was a refinement of the blackface design.

May be then a Jensen speaker will suit the amp. A trusted vendor offered me C12k but I rejected it.cause i thought I wouldn't be appropriate for this amp.

That is the Mark II-B (Blackface design), not the II-A.

Figured I would post on this..

I have a IIA, 60/100, no GEQ, w/Reverb. Mine has a JBL K120. Since I live mostly on the clean channel, the speaker has a nice range to it and can get pretty bright if dialed in that way. However, it seems to be a little harsh on the lead channel. Not unusable, but I would prefer it a little darker and smoother. Was wondering how it might respond with a Black Shadow C90? Any thoughts?

Have been trying the new Tone Tubby Purple Haze in my MKIIA, Express 5:25 Plus and Marshall (in the MKIIA combo or similar cab). The more you play it, the more you can adjust the amp better. And some break in. My experience so far

> Mounted in my Boogie MKIIA combo cab. No amp chassis, no back panel. The quickest thing I had to try it out.
> Drive with MKIIA, in separate cab. Seems very bright. But responds well to amp controls and EQ, from very subdued to very bright/chimey. No ice pick. Does not seem put out much bass, but think related to the cab.
Does seem quick on attack.
> Driven with Boogie MKIIA, speaker and chassis in custom hardwood combo cab. Cleans are very nice. Lead channel (dirty) is OK, but seems something in the middle frequency range is missing. When I ran the Boogie MS-12 with the Purple, very nice.
> Driven with Boogie 5:25+ seems very good in clean and burn modes. Definitely brighter that the Cannabis Rex in the Express cab. Bass is less is some way (again could be the cab).
> Driven with Marshall 50W early PCB head. Really nice from clean up to some mild breakup. Using an attenuator to drive lots of distortion, seems to loose something similar to the MKII.

When (on any of the 3 amps) you get a little amp breakup and push the speaker a bit, very nice "something" - singing. With Marshall, reminded me of 1970's Charlie Daniels. They were supposed to be using Marshall amps and 2x12 cabs with JBLs.

After playing it more, the bass is improving. Tone Tubby said the quick attack and extended frequency response is similar to the K120 JBL. This speaker really responds uniquely to each amp. I think another cab would reveal more, by itself, and especially paired with a Red or ceramic Winterland.

Latest posts

Back