Speaker choices 2 x 12 closed back cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffp

Reaction score
I have the V30 with a C90 strongly recommended.Any thoughts on a V30 with a G12-65 in a 2x12 rectifier cab for the ED? jeffp

jeffp said:
I have the V30 with a C90 strongly recommended.Any thoughts on a V30 with a G12-65 in a 2x12 rectifier cab for the ED? jeffp

Cradlefish runs a v30 and a WGS ET-65 (G12 - 65) in his Whitebox close back cab. Sounds great with the Electra Dyne. It depends what you want. The V30 / G12-65 will be a crunchier combination while the v30 / c90 will be meatier, smoother, and creamier. Better for leads, I think.

I can emphasize enough how great the Road King 2x12 cab is with the Dyne. Just try it...

I'm interested in that cab too. How do you configure it and What kind of music do you play ?

Road King 2 x 12.......What makes it different?What is it open back, closed ,3/4,what speakers?.....

Road King "2 x 12" = two speaker cabs in the same box. One side is an open back c90 enclosure and the other is a close back v30 enclosure. It sounds awesome!

thats interesting. I can see why the open back on C90 side and closed on V30. I`ve never seen or heard one. And it sounds awesome?...mmmmm with an ED head?...mmmmmmHow long have you been using this cab with ED head?.......did you stumble upon it?

*I* tried a road king cab in the music store and I was suitably impressed with everything I put through it, including a Recto, a Marshall, a Vox Nighttrain, Tiny Terror, Electra Dyne, etc.

What style(s) of music are you playing? Does this combo work well in broad-spectrum style gigs? I'm considering swapping the bottom C90s in my 2x12 HB cabs for V30s, but am concerned it will be a one trick pony. I do a lot of "hardened" blues and crunched-up classic rock but not metal. It's certainly a modern tone but still leaning more to the classic side than Hetfield.

The amp is DEFINITELY NOT a one trick pony. Lets say it does everything but modern metal but it can get **** aggressive if you throw a boost in front of it.

The one caveat is that the amp is not a swiss army style amp like a Roaster is. You can 'work' the versatility a bit if you have a fender Strat, a Gibson Les Paul, and a Jackson with EMGs at the same gig but it isn't going to give you 4 completely different tones on tap at any given time. That being said, it has plenty of great tones in it. You can do basically any flavour of Fender cleans right to blues using the Clean 'mode', Marshall cleans to blues, to classic rock in Vintage Lo, and blues, to classic rock, more modern crunch / early metal on Vintage Hi provided you have the right axe / pickups for the job. The problem is that you'll be twisting knobs and flipping buttons to access a number of those tones. The only other real option is to have a boost pedal handy and work that along with your volume knobs on your guitar. If this doesn't give you a massive palette of tones, I don't know what will.
One of the really cool features of this amp is that if you set the volume (gain) approx at noon, you can go from clean right to crunch when using the vintage Lo mode, all by adjusting pick attack. It is REALLY cool!!

If you need uber high gain with great crunch and note separation for modern metal / hard rock, then get a Roadster or a Recto Reborn instead. The Recto Reborn has a stiffer clean channel and handle clean to blues to classic rock, hard rock, modern rock, nu metal, modern metal, etc.

YellowJacket said:
The amp is DEFINITELY NOT a one trick pony.

I was referring to the speakers and cab. By 'combo' I meant the speaker combination of C90 and Mesa V30s. But thanks for the tone report on the Recto. :)

Oh, I see. You are wondering how many tones a c90 + v30 speaker combination can do? Well, it can basically handle whatever I throw at it. It likes both my Recto and my Electra Dyne.

Latest posts

Back