speaker cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusman75089

Reaction score
does it matter much if the speaker cab is slanted or straight with mesa boogie. i heard that the straight cabs have baffeling in them. how much of a difference do you all think it makes?

I believe the newer mesa straight cabs are completely straight front unlike the older ones where the top two speakers were slanted but the cabinet frame was straight. The straight cabs are supposed to be more boomier or have more bottom end because of the extra space that is inside.

mikeweber74 said:
I believe the newer mesa straight cabs are completely straight front unlike the older ones where the top two speakers were slanted but the cabinet frame was straight. The straight cabs are supposed to be more boomier or have more bottom end because of the extra space that is inside.

That pretty much sums it up. Although to my ears, the difference in the low end isn't THAT huge. Either way you can't go wrong. They are both fantastic cabs.

What I don't understand is why most cabs on sale used are slanted? Do people normally go slanted and then realize "**** I should have went straight" ?

Cuz if the difference isn't that huge then what's the deal here?

Well they have only been making true straight cabs for a few years. And the metal guys really dig them as well.

But you are right, the majority of the cabs for sale used are the slants. Never gave it much thought. The slants are great cabs though. But I went half way and got the older straight cab with the slant grill. Best of both worlds.

Elixir said:
What I don't understand is why most cabs on sale used are slanted? Do people normally go slanted and then realize "**** I should have went straight" ?

Cuz if the difference isn't that huge then what's the deal here?

Well the the slanted baffle is more popular because most people run half stacks. The slanted baffle has the two top speakers pointed towards your ears therefore makes it easier to hear.

The bottom cabs or straight baffle cabs come off as sounding deeper or darker but it has to do with the speakers all pointing at your legs. Where the staright baffle cabs come into play is in a full stack, it will be the bottom cab. So because people are more likely to run half stacks rather than full stacks, there are more slant cabs out there.

Then the odd cab out and IMO the best of the bunch is the straight cab/slant baffle. This is the one where the cab shell is completely straight but you get the slant baffle like the slant cabs. Those are hard to find but when you do hold onto them... especially if its the old halfback Mark cabs. I believe someone here has a nice collection of those.

Years ago, performers found that by tilting their speakers, they got a better projection to their audience. You see units with legs on each side that let the amps be propped up at a tilt (Fender, etc.), you saw "trolleys" that allowed 4x12's to be tilted (Vox). I don't know when the 1st 4x12's came out with the top two slanted, but that has pretty much been the standard half-stack cab for a long time.

When you wanted that "wall of sound", you bought the straight cab and made a full stack. I think most performers today separate their cabs when they get to a venue that requires two 4x12's. (and they don't stand right in front of eight 12" speakers blasting out sonic destruction). 8)

hmm should i just go to a straight cab for my next 4x12 (that i will hopefully be getting any day now)

Elixir said:
hmm should i just go to a straight cab for my next 4x12 (that i will hopefully be getting any day now)

If you really need/want two 4x12s, then yeah... I would definitely get a straight cab. You can separate the two cabs, or stack them if the stage is narrow.

fluff191 said:
mikeweber74 said:

That pretty much sums it up. Although to my ears, the difference in the low end isn't THAT huge. Either way you can't go wrong. They are both fantastic cabs.

+1

Not much of a distance out front of a slant cab on the floor and the 2 top 12's are in your ear. I then move off to the side to prevent the rapid onslought of tinitis
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back