SPAX7 in Mark IV - V1 position

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleJohn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I "heard" the SPAX7 was the best thing to get for low noise goodness BUT
it wont fit within the sheild casing in the V1 position . ( SPAX7 is too fat )

Should I infer the SPAX7 is not intended for use in the V1 position ??

Anyone been down this trail ?

thanks in advance.
--John

they fit fine in the Mark IV also,,, in sockets V2 thru V5.

I am hoping to find out what ( if not the SPAX7 ) works well for socket V1.
I am not an electrical engineer, but I imagine it is probably not a good idea to get rid of the metal can .<?>

According to the docs, the V1 socket requires a low-noise high grade 12AX7.
V2 thru V5 can have "ordinary" 12AX7's.

thanks for the response, I will keep poking around and see what I can learn.

The metal can is a shield for less noise. You can try without it, and if you like it there's no other problem.

they fit even though they have that rubber coating. I currently have one in my mark iv. it just takes a bit of finesse to get it to slide down straight without catching the coating on the lip of the metal surround.

but they do fit.

Old topic, but for future reference it's ok to remove the rubber sleeve. I've done so with no ill effect. May be a bad idea in a combo format, where vibrations may contribute to microphonics.

fdesalvo said:
Old topic, but for future reference it's ok to remove the rubber sleeve. I've done so with no ill effect. May be a bad idea in a combo format, where vibrations may contribute to microphonics.

That rubber sleeve is why it's branded a SPAX7, and not a regular 12AX7. Keeps the microphonics down.

Don't buy into the hype. It's still a regular 12AX7, you're just paying extra for the rubber sleeve.

I use the off the shelf TAD 7025-S in all but the Reverb & PI. It works very well for all my Mesas. The Reverb I play with based upon the tank and amp. The PI has the balanced TAD 7025-S and I noticed an improvement in the Heartbreaker and the .50 Caliber for power. The Mark III however, seems a little weaker with the balanced TAD in the PI. This weekend I am doing the old TAE approach with several of the other tubes (preamp & power) I have to see if I can wake the Mark III up. I am hoping it isn't a bad TAD, which can happen from time to time with any tube, but I will find out one way or the other.

Dennis

Latest posts

Back