SPAX-7's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudleydawson

Reaction score
Anyone else had success with these?
I initially got a few of them on accident, because a GC employee didn't know the difference between them and the 12ax7's.
i have used them in V1 of an F-30, Electra Dyne, Lonestar, and Mark V - and put them up against a tungsols, sovteks, and several older and newer mesa branded 12ax7's ('russia 2's, 'russia 1's, 'chinese', and unlabeled)....

EVERY time i've found the SPAX-7's to stand out as the clear winner.
obviously just my opinion - but i've found them to improve whatever i put 'em in! just wondering if there is a popular consensus on these?

They're a Chinese 12AX7. I think they're pretty good. They seemed to be the tube that was receiving the most hype up until those new Tung-Sols came out.

their exactly the same as the other mesa 12ax7s but passed low noise high quality test. They just tested out to be better quality and set aside from the other 12ax7s. Good tubes to put in v1 or all spots.

espboogie123 said:
their exactly the same as the other mesa 12ax7s but passed low noise high quality test. They just tested out to be better quality and set aside from the other 12ax7s. Good tubes to put in v1 or all spots.

+1....They also add that little rubber sleeve to them I believe to help with noise dampening. I still favor those new Tung-Sol (RI) production tubes over the SPAX-7's though, IMO.

I don't know. I tried them in my rectoverb, and they sucked all the life out of it. I have heard that the spax 7's may be a lower gain tube or something like that. Anyways, I don't think they are worth the extra dough. My 2 cents.

Made my amp marginally better. Quieter, perhaps slightly more gain range and a little bit tighter sounding on the amp. Granted, I don't think putting more once a SPAX7 is installed in V1 is a wise choice, but hey, if it works, good on you...

Replaced my old 12ax7s with Spax7s in all preamp slots - noticed what I thought was a big difference at the time - quieter and a bit tighter bottom end - happy enough until I was fortunate enough to get a 1950s long plate mullard ecc83. I put it in V1: this not only improved my tone instantly, but seemed to lift my mk4 boogie to another level! I've since retubed the pre amp section with a selection of mullard long and short plate ecc83 and each time the tone has improved. I've been lucky enough to pick some of these up on ebay for decent prices; they needn't cost the earth - the cheapest I got for just £20. I keep telling anyone who'll listen to try these if they get the chance! :D

Latest posts

Back