Sound diff. between non-simulclass IIC+ and simulclass IIC+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystidream

Reaction score
I'm gonna have my IIC+ on the way to me by the beginning of this coming week, but I was just wondering what your opinions were on the sound of the non-simulclass IIC+ compared to the simulclass IIC+? Anyone have any insights on the sound difference and care to explain how they sound different? I'm really interested in hearing what you guys who own IIC+'s think. Thanks.

There is a difference in sound...but unless you have them side by side to test I doubt you would notice much.

All 2C+ sound different... even when comparing simul 100w to another simul 100w.

Ive got a 60w reverb IIC+ and I don't care to try other IIC+ anymore (they are all this satisfying!).

Simul-class is smoother and rounder. The notes have more bloom. It's great for lead work.

Non-simul class is a lot sharper and "shred-like." It simply cuts like a knife. It's great for tight metal.

Both sound very similar though. You can do any genre with either amp, but if you want to specify, there it is.

with the simulclass you get a bit more tube flexibility too...that changes it up a bit as well.

Now that you have bought an amp dont bother worrying about it...worry about the speakers and effects your going to use instead!

glawk said:
with the simulclass you get a bit more tube flexibility too...that changes it up a bit as well.

Now that you have bought an amp dont bother worrying about it...worry about the speakers and effects your going to use instead!

Oh, I'm not worrying about the sound differences at all, I was just curious. Thats why I went all out and bought the simul/eq/reverb IIC+. I'll be playing through a straight Stiletto 4x12 with an MXR EVH Flanger, MXR EVH Phaser, TC Nova Delay, 535Q wah, Xotic BB Preamp, and an MXR Stereo chorus. I just can't wait to run that and my Mark IV at the same time. Its gonna be pure bliss. :lol:

mystidream said:
glawk said:

Oh, I'm not worrying about the sound differences at all, I was just curious. Thats why I went all out and bought the simul/eq/reverb IIC+. I'll be playing through a straight Stiletto 4x12 with an MXR EVH Flanger, MXR EVH Phaser, TC Nova Delay, 535Q wah, Xotic BB Preamp, and an MXR Stereo chorus. I just can't wait to run that and my Mark IV at the same time. Its gonna be pure bliss. :lol:

It would be wise to dial in your tone with just guitar>amp>speakers. This will allow you to get a feel for the amp without any outside influences. With the C+, less is more when you are speaking of effects. Your tube choice will be critical with this amp 8) .

JOEY B. said:
mystidream said:
glawk said:

It would be wise to dial in your tone with just guitar>amp>speakers. This will allow you to get a feel for the amp without any outside influences. With the C+, less is more when you are speaking of effects. Your tube choice will be critical with this amp 8) .

Yeah, when I first get it, I'm not gonna play it with any effects. I plan on getting a quartet of Winged C 6L6's. Any suggestions on what preamp tubes to go for?

I've had really good results with vintage old stock 6CA7s in the outside sockets. They're similar to EL34s, but slighlty different....sort of a cross between 6L6s and EL34s. Sylvania, RCA or GE. Congrats, and have fun!

I found preamp tubes can make a huge difference with my Mark IIs. Be forewarned: this can become addictive! Here's a "taste" to get you started down the road of obsession: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=749&highlight=timbre+wolf

If you are about to A/B test the amp, make sure you have the same brand of preamp tubes in both amps, or your test will not be accurate enough.
I like the mesa 12ax7 that they sell in stores everywhere, the are very gainy bold and easy to get your hands on.

tony777 said:
If you are about to A/B test the amp, make sure you have the same brand of preamp tubes in both amps, or your test will not be accurate enough.
I like the mesa 12ax7 that they sell in stores everywhere, the are very gainy bold and easy to get your hands on.

Yeah, I may just order 5 SPAX7's and see how that goes.

mystidream said:
tony777 said:

You don't really need that many. The spax7 doesn't ensure better tone, it just ensures the tube won't be as prone to microphonics as a regular 12ax7. You only really a spax7 in V1 and maybe V5

Elpelotero said:
mystidream said:
tony777 said:

You don't really need that many. The spax7 doesn't ensure better tone, it just ensures the tube won't be as prone to microphonics as a regular 12ax7. You only really a spax7 in V1 and maybe V5

Big +1

Elpelotero said:
mystidream said:
tony777 said:

Thanks for the info. I'll grab 2 and get 3 regular 12AX7's for the rest of the preamp slots.

Latest posts

Back