Something I noticed with the Roadster.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadsterAbuser

Reaction score
I have a question for you Roadster owners. I was playing the other day really loud with the master cranked all the way and the output to about 3:00 and the rythmn was great but when I was playing or attempting to play leads on it..I couldn't. I was getting a strange reverb/flange/chorus type of sound out of it and it sounded like a synth almost. It was weird and I figured it was the room but then I've heard that Mesas Dual Recs like the Roadster are not that good for lead playing. What gives?

I had everything cranked on it, the gain and bass but the treble was at around 1:00. That got me a little worried and might get rid of this thing if it really isn't for lead playing. I haven't been able to play that loud since but I will again in a few days to see if it happens again. I have a Mesa 4x12 Trad cabinet with it and the only thing I used as far as effects is a Tube Screamer.

The amp is great for rythmn though and it's got more than enough gain if not too much.

I'm in the same situation as you. I cant get a good lead tone out of it. But I usually try to keep all the masters around 12:00 or 12:30 because otherwise the signal sounds very pushed and it loses clarity. The sound gets muddy and distorted so keep the masters at 12 and then adjust the output accordingly. Hope this helps

Recitifers have always been better at rhythm than lead. That isn't to say it's impossible to get a good lead but it's certainly not the amp line's strong suit.

Your best bet would be to use CH3 vintage but even then you're going to need a stomp box OD with a midhump to get liquid lead.

SimpleMind said:
So you guys think too that the Roadster sucks for leadguitar??

I just replied to your PM. If you are looking for something that can do leads real well and can go from clean to real heavy and everything in between, check out a VHT Ultra-Lead. I owned one for a brief time. It's a very nice amp.

AsIAm666 said:
I'm in the same situation as you. I cant get a good lead tone out of it. But I usually try to keep all the masters around 12:00 or 12:30 because otherwise the signal sounds very pushed and it loses clarity. The sound gets muddy and distorted so keep the masters at 12 and then adjust the output accordingly. Hope this helps

Thanks man. I'll give it a try and see if it helps.

Anyone else?

Simplemind, the amp kicks *** without a doubt for rythmn but when it comes to playing leads it wasn't worth $5 HONESTLY! My solid state 15w Epiphone shitty amp killed it. Keep in mind most users of these type amps play bubblegum music (Blink 1shitty2, Green ****..Korn etc) and wouldn't be able to spell the word LEAD or SOLO let alone rip a mean sequenced minor scale lick. Then there those that play 2 notes of the minor pentatonic and THINK they can play so their opinion is going to be useless. I can provide clips of my playing and you can decide wether I can play or not. Hopefully it was the room I played in that created a reverb type of environment..I just hope it wasn't the amp for christ's sake because back to the store it will go ASAP.

This is the first time I've jammed on a Recto that loud and there's no way around it I couldn't play lead..it wouldn't work.

Thanks a lot for replying. Extremly kind. Would love to hear some clips if you have the possibility.

Well first of all, don't dime the gain, don't even bring it close to 3 o clock on the dial.

I second the output knob idea, keep your channel masters at 11:30, that is the Rectifier sweet spot (best balance of pre/post amp).. then use the output knob as your volume knob.

Keep the presence lower for more girth and fluidity to your notes and raise the treble knob to counterbalance the high frequency suck the Rectos have when you lower the presence knob. Keep your mids around 11-12, don't go below that and keep your bass at 12 or higher as well.

The vintage voicing, tube rectifiers and all of the above are the best lead sound you'll get out of it... I eventually got too frustrated with it and sold my 3CH DR for a Mark IV and couldn't be any happier. Try using a TS808/TS9 tubescreamer type pedal with a midboost to it to add some liquidity and harmonics to the notes. The lead just sounds flat as hell on the Rectifiers in my opinion but I've heard some great clips by members here so it's hard to say.

You definatly need some sort of boost out front IMO for leads, and use Ch 3 Vintage tube rectified. The boost in combination with EMG's helps me keep my gain dialed back ( around 1:30-2:00ish ) for a much more responsive EQ and tighter overall sound. IMO after 3:00 - 3:30 on the gain the amp gets mushy no matter how you EQ it, so using a boost lets me keep my gain down without losing input stage saturation & sustain.

Keep the bass back ( under 1:00 ), and use the mids sparingly but do not cut them out completely. The treble will help add bite and a little more perceived gain, don't over do it. Presence is up to you, I keep mine around 10:30 - 11:00 to help cut through.

If you use the boosted front end approach as I do, you may want to try some different tubes in V1. I love the Tung-Sol re-issue here.

The Boost and p'ups play a big part here ( & some $$ ). If you can't borrow a boost or OD pedal, find a store that has a 100% money back program so you can recycle your $$ and experiment. Search the forum for "clean boost" or "boost pedal recto" and things like that to get ideas of what people use. I tried a TS-9, Boss OD-1 and SD-1 before I settled with the Radial Big Shot PB-1.

And most important, use good cables.

If none of this works for you then the Recto series just may not be for you.

Have you ever played a Stiletto or Mark IV? Both are great amps for a band with two guitarist where you are more lead oriented with your tones IMO. I am the main guitarist (singer plays rhythm here and there) so my rhythm sound was the biggest factor in my decision to buy the Roadster.

But I'm still getting some great lead tones with it IMO.

Dom

Platypus said:
Well first of all, don't dime the gain, don't even bring it close to 3 o clock on the dial.

I second the output knob idea, keep your channel masters at 11:30, that is the Rectifier sweet spot (best balance of pre/post amp).. then use the output knob as your volume knob.

Keep the presence lower for more girth and fluidity to your notes and raise the treble knob to counterbalance the high frequency suck the Rectos have when you lower the presence knob. Keep your mids around 11-12, don't go below that and keep your bass at 12 or higher as well.

The vintage voicing, tube rectifiers and all of the above are the best lead sound you'll get out of it... I eventually got too frustrated with it and sold my 3CH DR for a Mark IV and couldn't be any happier. Try using a TS808/TS9 tubescreamer type pedal with a midboost to it to add some liquidity and harmonics to the notes. The lead just sounds flat as hell on the Rectifiers in my opinion but I've heard some great clips by members here so it's hard to say.

Thanks my man. I'm going to try all of your suggestions in 2 days. I already use a Tube Screamer and can't play without it. :twisted:

An EQ pedal like the MXR 10-band works fantastic for a front-end boost as well. You can boost your level up to 18 dB without the low-frequency loss typical of OD pedals, and add a bit of upper mids for cut/clarity. A little cut on the lowest and highest bands helps eliminate the mud and fizz.

+1 on backing off the amps gain. 2:00 is more than enough, especially with a nice hot boosted signal. Lower gain settings will increase punch and definition as well.

Check out a band out of Santa Cruz called the Expendables. They're a fusion of beach-type reggae and metal/"butt rock." I've met the guys before, and their lead guitar player uses a 2 Ch. Triple Rec. He does not use a boost, but puts a little slapback delay in the loop if you can catch it, and it works very well. He does however have a Boss GE-7, so the MXR wouldn't be a bad buy I bet. The reason I share this with you guys is because I have almost nailed a great liquid lead with the delay and Ch. 3 Vintage on my RKII. I think I just need a 4x12 to get a liquid one though!

IMHO, using settings as you've described really defeats the whole purpose, but to each his own? Really though, your not utilizing the most "useable" ranges of each control when maxing things out!

Lead tone for rectifier amps :

A. I use 2 OD pedals : Xotic BB Preamp > Maxon Ts9 Tubescreamer ( analogman modified).

B. Delay pedal is a must. I use a Tc Electronic Vintage Delay in the Loop

If I am missing any of the above components I would have a better chance of seeing Jesus on a unicycle than getting a lead tone out of my DR or SR....

jbird said:
IMHO, using settings as you've described really defeats the whole purpose, but to each his own? Really though, your not utilizing the most "useable" ranges of each control when maxing things out!

Well I was just screwing around since it was the first time I got to play it that loud so I didn't want to spend time tweaking and just wanted to play.

I knew I had to set some things down but I still didn't know what was the cause of the strange noise and the notes not being clear. Again, I use a Tube Screamer always have always will..for everything.

RoadsterAbuser said:
I have a question for you Roadster owners. I was playing the other day really loud with the master cranked all the way and the output to about 3:00 and the rythmn was great but when I was playing or attempting to play leads on it..I couldn't. I was getting a strange reverb/flange/chorus type of sound out of it and it sounded like a synth almost. It was weird and I figured it was the room but then I've heard that Mesas Dual Recs like the Roadster are not that good for lead playing. What gives?

I had everything cranked on it, the gain and bass but the treble was at around 1:00. That got me a little worried and might get rid of this thing if it really isn't for lead playing. I haven't been able to play that loud since but I will again in a few days to see if it happens again. I have a Mesa 4x12 Trad cabinet with it and the only thing I used as far as effects is a Tube Screamer.

The amp is great for rythmn though and it's got more than enough gain if not too much.

I don't know the sound you described, however it looks like my amp settings are more moderate than yourse and I have no trouble obtaining a sweet lead tone, especially with my OD pedal in front.

Maybe your speakers / cab is screwed up.

Here's an idea that I still want to try: A compression pedal.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting a good lead tone out of my roadster. I think mainly because there is a big volume drop between playing rhythm, (i.e. heavy courds and hitting the strings hard) and then playing lead (single notes, not hitting the strings as hard).

I play a mixture of rhythm and lead - chords with lots of solo notes thrown in and the solo notes just sound weak. I think a compressor pedal will help even that out and also help me to hit the frount of the amp harder.

I used to have a line6 vetta and I had a 'virtual compressor' on it at all times. I don't miss the tone but I do miss the fluidity.

If you have a compressor pedal, try it out and report back. I don't have one at the moment but if the idea works well then I'll consider buying one.

AsIAm666 said:

I do the same... works great for me.... also allows me to balance all the channels..... plus channel 3 and 4 dont get all muddy ..... what kinda cab are you using?

stompboxfreak72 said:
Lead tone for rectifier amps :

A. I use 2 OD pedals : Xotic BB Preamp > Maxon Ts9 Tubescreamer ( analogman modified).

B. Delay pedal is a must. I use a Tc Electronic Vintage Delay in the Loop

If I am missing any of the above components I would have a better chance of seeing Jesus on a unicycle than getting a lead tone out of my DR or SR....

Cool...and what about the rc booster? I'm asking it if you know about it cause i'm very interested to buy that pedal for the same purpose(lead), and i want to use it on clean channel too for a bluesy tone.
Edited:i saw the demo on the Xotic website, i maybe would go for an AC booster...ah to hell! Lets buy both pedals!

I think it was called solo head for a reason, but I can't explain why :oops:

anyway, I like my rhythm tone to be my lead as well and the only mode I've had problems with is the modern mode, but i really like the vintage/tube rec/bold for leads/solo tones. Its not your usual lead sound either but I really like it.

Latest posts

Back