someone plz help me

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emo killer

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 3 channel dual recto and it sounds horrible ive tried everything and i dont know what to do all the tubes look fine but i dont know whats wrong can somebody please help me o and im using a marshall mode four cabinent i dont know if thats the problem?

might help if:

1) you defined "horrible";
2) told us if the amp is new, if you just got it, or if you've been playing it for a while and it sounded fine before, etc.

1.)Did the amp ever sound good? In other words, when you bought it, did it sounds good and since then has the sound gotten worse? Or has it always sounded bad to you?

2.) What sound is it making that you don't like? ie does the low end sound "flubby" or is the gain to fizzy? Or is the amp making a squeeling noise or is the volume going in and out?

CoG said:
might help if:

1) you defined "horrible";
2) told us if the amp is new, if you just got it, or if you've been playing it for a while and it sounded fine before, etc.

Hah! We gave essentially asked the same question at *almost* exactly the same time!!! :D

k it sounds just really thin and tinny sounding and it buzz with all my guitars and its about 6 months old and when i tried it at the shop it sounded awsome but then i took it home and it was just a different amp

What kind of guitar and cab did you use when you tried it at the shop? and what settings are you using?

I can almost bet it is the Mode 4 cabinet, it is designed for a Marshall Solid state Amp and the speakers arent the best.

When you tried it out int he store, what cabinet did you use?

Other things to try, completly bybass the loops, be carefull though, make sure to have all your channel volumes all the way down, and then adjust each one.

emo killer said:
k it sounds just really thin and tinny sounding and it buzz with all my guitars and its about 6 months old and when i tried it at the shop it sounded awsome but then i took it home and it was just a different amp

so you are using other cab,other guitar and other room but you blame the poor amp ?

:shock:

im using a micheal kelly patriot with duncan alnico II pickups and a ibanez xiphos with emg 81 and 85 and i have a les paul standard thats coming in the mail this week that may help the tone but idk

im using a micheal kelly patriot with duncan alnico II pickups and a ibanez xiphos with emg 81 and 85 and i have a les paul standard thats coming in the mail this week that may help the tone but idk

The les paul standard will help with the tone a lot. I would also consider getting a different speaker cab. If you want something cheap, but that will sound decent, I would try to snag a JCM 900/800 4x12 w/ 75's off of craigslist...you should be able to get one for $300. What settings are you using on the amp btw?

well thats really where i go wrong i have no clue how to set this amp properly for the tones i want i try but it doesent get me anywhere can you help me?

I don't have a 3 channel DR, so I would not be the best person to ask cause I don't really know the settings on a 3 channel DR very well. So hopefully someone else here will give you some better advice. But you are describing your sound as being tinny and thin so I would pay careful attention to your presence, treble, and gain settings. Make sure you don't have these on extreme settings. On my DR, if I turn my gain past 3 o olock(if you pretend the pointer on your control knob is the hour hand on a clock) things start to get a little messy (ie noisey, mushy). I also wouldn't set your treble or prescene any farther than 1 o clock. But then again, this is my advice coming only from my experience with 2 channel rectifier's, so take it with a grain of salt. If all else fails, go to mesaboogie.com and download a copy of the manual (for free) The have setting samples/suggestions in there. Take some time to get aquainted with the manual. Hope this helped some. Good luck!

Like i said, most likley the problem is your cab, the mode 4 cabinets are made for solid state amps, not tube amps. Get yourself a nice V30 filled cab and you will be so much happier.

Now try these settings, if it sounds thin and tinny, well then it is not the settings.

Red Channel
Silcone diode setting.
Bold Setting
Completly bypass the loop
Presense/Bass/Treble/Mid- 12 Noon (right in the middle)
Gain between 1 oclock and 3 oclock, depends how much you want.
Master put to your desired level

And of course the secret with recto's is to keep the gain between 1 and 3 oclock and use a boost in front. May seem odd to boost an amp with so much gain already. But when you turn the gain up it gets flubby, however you can get the same amount of gain by keeping it set around 2 oclock and boosting it with a booster pedal

Whatever you do, make sure you do not scoop the mid's down to nothing, this amp is already mid scooped. LIke i said try a different cabinet, bring it over to a friends or something that has a better cabinet.

Stay away from any crappy cabinets, like the Marshall AVT's or the Mode 4. Good choice of cabinets would be any cabinet with V30's that are made with quality, The marshall cabinets with 75's, but these will sound a little more mid scooped with higher top end.

emo killer said:
well thats really where i go wrong i have no clue how to set this amp properly for the tones i want i try but it doesent get me anywhere can you help me?

It might help if you stop what your doing and read the manual a few times. Not understanding how to operate your amp is probably your first problem. The manual describes each control and function in enough detail that you shouldn't need to ask questions about how to use them.

If you didn't get a manual or threw it away you can download it from boogie.

Greg

I had the same problem with both my Mark IV and my Road King. It was the guitar. I had a piece of **** LTD EX-400. I spooged on it and traded it in for a REAL ESP Eclipse II. It might be something else with you but try a couple of guitars and cabs. Good luck with everything!!!!

Latest posts

Back