Somebody 'splain this to me...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinetree

Reaction score
*(Sorry in advance if this has been asked a million and one times)*

My 14 year old Mark IV is a "Mesa Boogie", and my brand spanking new Dual Recto is a "Mesa Engineering".

What, if any, is the difference?

They are just of different eras. Look at the older Marks. They are just Boogies.

Come to think of it, my Mk IV actually only says "Boogie", I've just always called it a Mesa Boogie.

randall smith explains in the catalogs. he got the name boogie from santana. but when he started getting bigger and turning into an actual company (as opposed to the little shack he was using at the time) he needed a name that sounded professional so he chose 'mesa engineering'

Russ said:
They are just of different eras. Look at the older Marks. They are just Boogies.
My Mark IV short head has the Boogie badge and I bought it new in 2000, so it's not just the old Marks that carry the Boogie name. In fact now that I think of it I bought two Thiele cabs both loaded with EVM-12L's about six months apart back in 00/01 and one carries the Mesa/Boogie badge and has black handle mounts and the other carries a Mesa Engineering badge and has nickel handle mounts. Also the catalog I have shows all the cabs with Mesa Engieering Badges, so I'm guessing the switch to that badge took place sometime in the 00/01 time period.

from conversations with mike B. about the faceplates for mark 2c+'s, they just use whatever they have lying around. so maybe one guy picked up a "boogie" logo and the next guy got the mesa eng. one until eventually all the old ones ran out and it was only mesa eng.

Back