• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Somebody is stealing my pictures and using them on EBAY!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear-Monkey

Reaction score
WTF! How can anyone steal my pictures to use on their ebay... ? They can't do this, can they?

Here is his picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Dual-Rectifier-100-watt-Solo-head-Mint-2007_W0QQitemZ330171250346QQihZ014QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is my Picture:

http://www.gear-monkey.com/forums/index.php?topic=113.0

I don't condone their use of your pics; I've had an auction or two cancelled on people that had used mine, but I can understand why they would use yours, you take great pics! I wish everybody would take 'em like that!

If you look someone has stolen pics of a nice DC-3 combo and both auctions are going on at the same time. Makes you wonder if they even have an amp to sell.

the only time its ok to do that is if you bought the item, and then decided to sell it right away.
but still, i've had sellers send me angry emails within days of me recieving their time because i put it up on ebay with their pictures.

I'm going to look into getting all my photos branded... hell if people are going to use my photos, I may as well get credit for it, right.

Maybe I can incorporate my new website's domain in there or something (i.e. www.gear-vault.com)

Then I would more okay with it, as long as what they're selling is identical without flaws.

I think a watermark of some sort would work to protect your images. Just make sure it would be just about impossible to edit out of the image, i.e - don't just put a little logo in the lower left corner.

JimAnsell said:
the only time its ok to do that is if you bought the item, and then decided to sell it right away.
but still, i've had sellers send me angry emails within days of me recieving their time because i put it up on ebay with their pictures.

In that case I think it's OK because you're using pics of the actual item.

CudBucket said:
JimAnsell said:

In that case I think it's OK because you're using pics of the actual item.

I disagree because if the item got damaged in shipping where the buyer didn't notice it would almost be a fraudulent posting using old pictures.

If you're going to sell an item, even if you just bought it, I think it is best to take new pictures as it just starts to raise eye brows for those who browse the auctions or boards, like this one, frequently where people point out things like a picture being used again. Not taking new pictures just shows laziness.

Greg

Mr_You, I found them when I was scanning through closed auctions. I like to keep up to date with the market on Mesa Boogie.

I found this one, but now question how many I didn't find.

phyrexia, I use photobucket... but this guy save the picture to his hard drive from a closed auction Picture.

Here was my Ebay auction that he stole it from. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160163263657&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=006

If I intend on using pictures of an item for resell, I always email the person I purchased the item from and give them a heads-up as to what I'm doing. I have never had anyone say "No, you can't use my pics" and this resolves any issues that might come up.

srommes said:
If I intend on using pictures of an item for resell, I always email the person I purchased the item from and give them a heads-up as to what I'm doing. I have never had anyone say "No, you can't use my pics" and this resolves any issues that might come up.

The problem I have is the amp that he is selling isn't the one in the picture.

When I sell an amp or guitar, they can have all the photos that I took.

I checked out the pics. To be honest, I don't see a problem with what the guy did. The way the posters pics are - because they are well taken in an all white setting - tend to look like default "dummy" pics you'd find in magazines or on websites. Because of that, I'm sure a lot of other guys may not even realize it's a legit pic of someones amp.

When you look at the auction, the guy is not trying to mislead anyone. He has the "borrowed" pic, which looks like a default magazine type pic - then has 2 pics of the actual item, which he describes in his auction "still have the box, etc". So, I don't think anyone is gonna look at the posters pic that's included alongside the original pics of the amp and assume all 3 are of the same amp. He didn't post serial numbers and try to pass off the amp as something it's not.

I would view it different if he was using only pics that someone else did and of an amp that wasn't his. But, considering how it was presented along with other legit pics...I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Just to play devil's advocate... :twisted:

Back