Some more Opeth... UPDATED!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrd

Reaction score
Hey guys, I did a bit of recording today. One of my favourite tracks off Opeth's classic album Still Life, called Moonlapse Vertigo. Recorded it with my Les Paul into the MKIV, running a Soldano 2x12 and my Mesa 4x12. Mic'd up the Soldano with my Sennheiser e609 and the 4x12 with my AT4050. Also ran a clean signal, straight from the guitar, into the mix, just to give it a bit of bite. It's barely noticeable.

I didn't play the entire song, as I've only learned the first bit so far, and there's no singing either so... it's mostly just some fun on guitar, plus that chorus riff is so badass :)

Let me know what you think of the playing and tone... any questions about it, just ask! Cheers.

http://members.shaw.ca/mrduplicity/mv.mp3 -- 3.45mb

EDIT: Woops, I forgot to mention, I recently have been fooling around with a 24-band EQ, which I'm using here, instead of the GEQ found on the MKIV. I used it for rhythm tones, and for clean tones, I switched over to the MKIV's GEQ, with a very mild mid-scoop.

UPDATE: Hey guys, been working on the track some more, here's an mp3 of the entire song. Still haven't recorded the solo yet, I just started hacking at it tonight, I'll try and lay it down over the weekend. Also may get a buddy over to record some vocals if he's willing. Hopefully the "boxey" tone is less prevalent. Let me know your thoughts. I'll leave the old clip up for comparison if anyone wants.

I dropped the 24-band EQ for this one, I'm using the Mark's GEQ with a bit of a mid-scoop and an MXR 10-band for a bass-cut/boost.

New link: http://members.shaw.ca/greg.schofield/mv-01.mp3

No one knows Opeth? Or does the clip suck that much? :lol:

I love Opeth. This is a very good cover of a great song. I'm working on Godhead's Lament myself. I think the production could be a little more crisp.

Thanks guys!

@jressell: Let me know when you finish Godhead's Lament, I would love to hear it. That entire album is awesome.

I agree the production is a bit boxey. I know exactly how you mean. It sounded pretty cool in my headphones then I realized after I checked it out on the speakers, it was a bit lackluster. I might try to do another take of it today. I'll post anything I come up with here.

Thanks for the comments dudes :)

Opeth are awesome - ive recently got into them over the last few months.

I have been jamming them with some buddies recently.

Here is our version of Heir Apparent off Watershed (recorded with a room mic only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwYIf9fLqI8&feature=channel

It ain't note perfect yet but this is the first time we played it together. I'm playing the Explorer though the Mesa

The Mesa tone is somewhat different to the Opeth sound (i think they use Laney amps) but still sounds pretty heavy, even without a bass player! Turn it up!

eeviac said:
Opeth are awesome - ive recently got into them over the last few months.

I have been jamming them with some buddies recently.

Here is our version of Heir Apparent off Watershed (recorded with a room mic only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwYIf9fLqI8&feature=channel

It ain't note perfect yet but this is the first time we played it together. I'm playing the Explorer though the Mesa

The Mesa tone is somewhat different to the Opeth sound (i think they use Laney amps) but still sounds pretty heavy, even without a bass player! Turn it up!

Dude that was pretty sick! Nice playing 8) Your volume is owning the **** out of that mic, lol, still sounds cool though

Opeth uses a lot of different stuff. I think they use Laney now, but they have used Mesa, Fender, ENGL, Peavey, Randall, just about everything. Depends on which album you're talking about. I know that Deliverance was recorded with some Triple Recto tones. Watershed probably has a lot of stuff going on, it's a very organic album. If you check their webpage, Mikael has a fairly nice list of gear used for each album.

Very good Heir Apparent cover. Cleans tones just need a bit work if youre really going for an Opeth sound.

Latest posts

Back