Solo Channel on RK1 and RK2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken in NC

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a question about the solo channel. Does anybody use this? This which seems to push the volume for soloing purposes but it doesn't seem to meet my needs. I am looking for my soloing function to not only add volume, but to possibly add some additional gain and maybe some midrange.

Of course one option is to dedicate one of the four channels as a soloing channel. This will serve functionally but it also eliminates one of the channels which could be used as a rhythm channel.

I was thinking about adding an overdrive pedal (like the Tone Bone) to add again, EQ and volume boost to serve as my solo channel. This would leave me with four dedicated rhythm channels and the OD pedal as each channels solo. I am not looking to add a lot of gain, but just to touch for added sustain.

Is anybody using their road King's similarly? If so, can anyone recommend a good pedal which would accomplish what I'm looking to do?

Thank you

Since you have 4 channels.. you can easily take Channel 3 and make it your lead channel.

If it were me.. I'd get a nice OD and just stomp on it when you want some lead tone. Something like a tubescreamer with the gain on 9o clock, volume on 12 and the tone on 12 will give you the sustain/boost you want without being gainy.

Personally I use an OD constantly for my tone and use the volume control on my guitar to adjust between rythm and solo, but I'm a gain freak :)

Thanks for responding. I have a Tubescreamer modded for a TS808 which may work nicely for this. I was just wondering what others were doing.

I do not want to forfeit a channel on the RK2 for Solo's only. I would rather keep the additional channel and get a stomp OD for boosting gain, EQ and tone for solo's.

Thanks!

Cool, let us know how the boost works for you.

I never play my boogie without one

I love the Solo feature -- it's an important part of many Boogie amps. I love that it gives me a volume boost without adding any noticable gain.

yes, I agree that the solo button does that, but I need it to do more.

I need a tad more gain and some EQ in addition to the volume. My rhythm channels do not use a lot of gain and need a little more for sustain for the solo.

So, your gonna be tap dancing? In my experience, employing any type of boost, distortion, or overdrive in front of the amp does nothing as far as a volume boost! So, a tap on your solo boost and your tubescreamer will be in order! :?

I surely do not want to do that. I would rather dedicate one of my four channel to the solo channel and just step on one button.

That's why I asked this question... To see how other RK owners use their solos. Is is just me that wanted gain, volume and EQ for solo channel?

On the other hand, many OD pedals do have a output knob on them which may boost the volume when engaging the stomp box. Personally, I haven't tried this yet, so I will have to see what works.

It's much easier to use your guitar's volume knob for this purpose... tune your rig to be how you want your leads to be volume wise.. then turn down your volume on your guitar for rythm sections, turn it up all the way for solos, and step on one pedal, your OD to get the sustain/tone you want.

I usually run around 7-8 for rythm and 10 for solo on my guitar.

Back