So what do you think I should do?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which option should I take?

• Take the Recto, sell the Mark

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Add an EQ in the Loop and an OD in front of the Mark IV

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hailstorm350

Reaction score
I have the option of swapping my Mark IV long head out for a Dual Recto or adding a mxr EQ to the loop of my IV and an OD to the front...

I get good tones out of the Mark, but it just doesn't seem to hit the spot I want it to.
I can get very close to a good sound when I dial in the graphic EQ on the mark, but I want to have that EQ button for a boost, and be able to use the lead channel w/o the EQ.

I'm beginning to think maybe I should just go for a plug-n-play amp, even though I have dialed in the sweet spot on my Mark, and tried both 6l6s and EL34s on the ends. Is there another tube combination I should look into? (All Ive used is Mesa Tubes)

Perhaps, I should just get an EQ and OD for the setup? perhaps some effects too?

I'm aiming for a heavy, sustainy, yet clear and defined distortion that can express the notes of chords that I can't normally hear... I played on a Peavey XXX and it gave me the clearness I wanted, but perhaps too much? It made my playing seem incredibly sloppy haha, which it probably is, but at least I could get those high note definitions in a big chord from it.

So what do you think? I want the boogie boarders' collective input on which option I should take...

When it comes down to Mark VS Recto, I have no doubt :)

If you want clarity hitting big chords, there's nothing like decreasing the gain 8)

I believe I would go with slammin' my rig with a OD pedal and add an EQ in the loop. To add depth to the OD pedal, you can run an EQ after the OD pedal and before the input.
I have gotten my best tone results
by EQin' signal in & signal out. :wink:

I don't like to sell any of my amps because they're
such true companions to my music :!: 8)
+ I'm a Tubegear Junkie needin' a fix :wink:

I'm thinking about selling my Mark IV after about a year of having it. I don't like the preamp for distortion tones...

It is not saturated enough? I use the mxr 10 band eq and it has an added gain slider. Also being able to have double the control for the eq section helped me get a more modern recto type sound.

I had a chance to buy a MarkIV, but bought the Recto instead. Although I love the grunt and the sticky sound out of it, But I do miss a good, solid clean sound and a couple other features that the Mark has. The grass is always greener![/i]

Looking at this from a monetary standpoint:

If you buy a used EQ for $50 and it does what you want.........Great!!!

If not....an EQ pedal is a very effective and useful piece of gear that can be used with ANY setup so it's not money wasted. EQ's can be used as a clean boost, guitar EQ, Solo boost, post amp EQ, etc.

If you get a recto and decide it is EVEN FARTHER away from what you want then you have to start from ground zero, which I hate doing, plus, you might lose money on the deal if you move with haste. I modulate between the Mark IV and a Triaxis but have owned a Recto a plenty. They do have their place in the grand scheme but my minimalistic perception of guitar gear pushes me away from having multiple amps for potential tones i might want.

Greg

Latest posts

Back