So... What did I just buy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
I know you guys can tell me exactly what I bought and when they're from. Any clues?

I got two 1x12 open back extension cabs. The speakers just say EVM on them, and they're numbered 6165 and 6189. They're closed front, so no port, and the logo says Mesa/Boogie.

the tolex is a bit rough, but the grills are pretty. These things weigh a ton. I've never had anything Mesa/Boogie before, so I don't know where to look.

Edit: The speakers are 200 watts @ 8 ohms.

Welcome to the Boogie Board.

It sounds like you bought the 1x12 Compact Open Back Guitar Cabinet.
http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar Cabinets/COMPACTcabs/CompactOB-1x12-LG.htm

Getting them with 200watt EV's is a major plus!
These should sound great.

Do they look something like this?

1x12CompactOBCab2005-LG.jpg

1x12CompactOB-bkLG.jpg

They have one of those at my local musicgoround for $199. I'm thinking of getting it and making a panel to close the back.

carnevoodoo said:
I know you guys can tell me exactly what I bought and when they're from. Any clues?

I got two 1x12 open back extension cabs. The speakers just say EVM on them, and they're numbered 6165 and 6189. They're closed front, so no port, and the logo says Mesa/Boogie.

the tolex is a bit rough, but the grills are pretty. These things weigh a ton. I've never had anything Mesa/Boogie before, so I don't know where to look.

Edit: The speakers are 200 watts @ 8 ohms.
You just got yourself two of the world's best cabs. Yes the EV speakers are heavy but they sound better than anything else on this planet.

troyguitar said:
They have one of those at my local musicgoround for $199. I'm thinking of getting it and making a panel to close the back.

You can try it but, sealing the cabinet might not be a good idea.
Speakers need to move air, sealing the cabinet may inhibit that.
But... it may have the sound you want...
The Theile design (front ported) is closed back.

I had 15" bass cabinets once that were tightly sealed, but the speakers (CTS) had venting down the center of the cone all the way through the magnets. As the speaker cone moved in, air was displaced out the center. Them baby's would thump hard enough to almost make you involuntarily poop yourself. I should add that I was pushing several thousand amps through (10) 15" speakers...

They look similar to those pictures, but the logo says Mesa/Boogie and the jack is mono. Oh, and the back of the speaker says Electro Voice where that one says Mesa, and the Mesa logo is on the bottom half of the sticker. I am just assuming mine are an older era. I haven't been able to really crank them yet to check out the sound, but with magnets like they have on them, I'm thinking they're going to be clean and loud.

Is there any way to date the cabs by the serial number on the speaker?

Latest posts

Back