So is it just me who finds Vintage mode a little muffled?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe it's my ears are so used to modern mode, but even when using Petrucci's settings, Vintage sounds a little muffled to me. I dunno why??

Probably because he puts the presence at 0... no idea how he does that and still gets as good of tone as he does, my amp sounds like there's a concrete wall in front of it with the presence at 0.

The vintage mode is my favorite by far on channel 2

I run the presence at 0 on Modern on Ch3, which I use for rhythm, and actually, on channel 2 on modern for leads. But I cannot get Vintage to sound good with presence at 0 on Ch2.

Where do you run the presence for a good lead tone in Vintage?

Vintage is my favorite for rhythm and lead, I can see if it had a dark humbucker guitar where it would sound muffled, but my Wolfgang isn't that bright and it sounds fine.

www.guitartest.moonfruit.com , I've got a clip of the Vintage mode and my wolfgang.

Mr Random Hero said:
I run the presence at 0 on Modern on Ch3, which I use for rhythm, and actually, on channel 2 on modern for leads. But I cannot get Vintage to sound good with presence at 0 on Ch2.

Where do you run the presence for a good lead tone in Vintage?

I'm a big presence guy and I use a british power section (EL34/84s) which tends to be darker so my answer might not make much sense but I usually keep my presence at 11pm on my vintage channel, max out the bass, and keep gain around 1pm.

I don't know how you like your presence at 0 personally but tone is VERY subjective so to each their own! :)

Here is some lead tone with a bit of delay added:
http://platypus.memoryfire.com/ending.avi

Owners of the two channel Dual/Triple Recs, take note! When the channel style select feature is used and the Modern Red channel is cloning Red to Vintage (so that it sounds like the Orange channel)-be aware that both the Orange and Red Channels' Presence controls are active in the (bottom) Red channel in this setting only. Some amazing sounds are possible because the two Presence controls maintain their respective voicing giving you two regions of top end harmonics to play with in this mode. 8)

tele_jas said:
Vintage is my favorite for rhythm and lead, I can see if it had a dark humbucker guitar where it would sound muffled, but my Wolfgang isn't that bright and it sounds fine.

www.guitartest.moonfruit.com , I've got a clip of the Vintage mode and my wolfgang.

Vintage is my fav too with my wolfgang.
wow, someone else uses a wolfie and a recto on vintage... must be doing something right! lol

Which clip are you refering to on your site? 'road king rock'?

Another tid-bit! I just recieved my new Zoom G2.1u! Upon reading about the different amp models, I found for the Rectifier, they are modeling the Dual Rectifier used on Linkin Parks "Hybrid Theory" album! It is said to feature the Silicon Diode option, and to be of the Vintage mode! Interesting!

Mr Random Hero said:
Maybe it's my ears are so used to modern mode, but even when using Petrucci's settings, Vintage sounds a little muffled to me. I dunno why??

This is one of the things I love about Petrucci's tone.

Grandor said:
Vintage is my fav too with my wolfgang.
wow, someone else uses a wolfie and a recto on vintage... must be doing something right! lol

Which clip are you refering to on your site? 'road king rock'?

Yeah, the RK Rock clip is the Wolfie and the RK in Vintage mode.

Latest posts

Back