So I played my first Mark IV today....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't the recto series so no there is not a "better version" but the B has a bit more gain, i believe, and more high end? I think R2 has more gain in the B version. BB posted this a while ago so you'll have to search for it. Some say the A is closer to the IIC+ but that just might be coming from A owners trying to make their sound better than it is :)

I have a B but I doubt I will ever compare it with an A so all I would be able to recommend is the B.

Greg

That has been debated but in the end it is up to you to decide. I own an A. I have played both. I don't have a satellite. Between the two it doesn't matter that much to me because the amps are similar enough. Side by side you may be able to tell with same settings, tubes, cabinets, etc. That might be because the A's are older too. Again the differences are subtle. It isn't like they are different enough to be two different amps. I am under the impression that there is even less of a difference than elpelotero's comparison between rev C and rev D Dual Rec's. When I plug into a Mark IVB I am still happy using it with settings that I use on my A. You'd probably be happy with either one. There are tons of posts about them comparing and whatnot.

disassembled said:
This isn't the recto series so no there is not a "better version" but the B has a bit more gain, i believe, and more high end? I think R2 has more gain in the B version. BB posted this a while ago so you'll have to search for it. Some say the A is closer to the IIC+ but that just might be coming from A owners trying to make their sound better than it is :)

I have a B but I doubt I will ever compare it with an A so all I would be able to recommend is the B.

Greg

You haven't played yours yet and can't even play yours until July...

I have played both versions through the same cabs and guitar. The "B" version has a better Rh2 sound IMHO. The Lead channel on either amp should put a grin on your face. The Rh1 is all about what you put into it, guitar wise. 8)

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Ok....the one at my GC is a B version...

So anyone know how much a head shell would cost me?

~280 is what Mesa quoted me for a DR.. not sure about MkIV.

Used ones can be had from $100 and up depending upon how nice they are and if they still have the fan and reverb tank in them or not. Check e-bay.

So I was already to do it....called GC, and they can "only give me $600 for my Dual Rectifier"....

:(

Looks like I have to sell it myself....

Any takers? :D Help a guy out!

ibanez4life SZ! said:
So I was already to do it....called GC, and they can "only give me $600 for my Dual Rectifier"....

:(

Looks like I have to sell it myself....

Any takers? :D Help a guy out!

Do the ebay route.. I got some nice coin for mine.

I'm kinda worried about it though...I've heard so many horror stories with shipping of heads....like your first MKIV for example....or the purple road king....it kinda scares me :?

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I'm kinda worried about it though...I've heard so many horror stories with shipping of heads....like your first MKIV for example....or the purple road king....it kinda scares me :?

I know :\

Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

I have shipped heads, guitars, rack power amps, etc and have not had problems yet because i try to pack expecting it to get thrown around. I think the postal service is better for shipping packages and they don't have near the damage problems as UPS. The only downside is it costs more than UPS usually.

Greg

Elpelotero said:
$280 for a freaking DR headshell!??? Was this the regular black/chrome, or a fancy one?

It was dressed up like the stiletto ace's default color (green/tan) w/ the boogie logo instead of the mesa one.

Back