So I just called Mesa/Boogie Customer Support about modding my Studio Preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalyca88

Reaction score
I called inquiring about possibly sending in and modding my Studio Preamp to Mk IIc+ specs, since I've read the circuits are really close, as well as others having their SP's modded to spec. The rep told me that the Quad Preamp is close to the Mk IIc+, and not the Studio Preamp, despite everything I've read online, and my last post asking about this exact topic. They said they don't offer any mods for the SP. Am I the dunce or is the rep?

My understanding was that the Studio was the preamp from the IIC, and that it could get the + mode performed on it.

I have no idea what the Quad was based on. It could have been based on the IIC+ instead of the IIC, which would make the rep's statement accurate....but not very helpful?

I called inquiring about possibly sending in and modding my Studio Preamp to Mk IIc+ specs, since I've read the circuits are really close, as well as others having their SP's modded to spec. The rep told me that the Quad Preamp is close to the Mk IIc+, and not the Studio Preamp, despite everything I've read online, and my last post asking about this exact topic. They said they don't offer any mods for the SP. Am I the dunce or is the rep?
When I emailed Mike a few years back they did offer a studio preamp mod.

I was told directly from the horse's mouth that the SP is very similar to the Mark III Blue Stripe.

According to the Boogie manual for the Quad, channel 1 is very similar to the II C, channel 2 being very similar to the Mark III.

The Quad is a great piece of gear stock. Same with the SP. When was the last time your SP was serviced? Maybe before modifying it, send it to Boogie for general service.

Just to clarify, from experience I have had to send, literally, every Boogie I own to Petaluma for proper service. And I've never been disappointed when they came home. All had new life but didn't lose a thing from before. The SP can be dialed into serious agro to crystal cleans; it's a great pre stock

Last edited:
I loved my SP when I had it, the only non-stock thing I "had" to do was push it a bit with a good OD pedal then I really started finding the tones I was looking for, still kick myself for selling the darn thing......sigh. I did look at getting it modded as there was a ton of info about it floating around at the time but just decided to leave it as is.

I had a Studio pre and did the IIC+ mods, it sounded great, don't know why they would not mod it, I understand they dont offer the IIC+ mods anymore, would have to contact

Mike Bendinelli​

I think he still does them from time to time. I also had a Quad years ago, I was told by mesa that one channel was very close to the IIC+, the the other channel was more Mark III voiced :)

Last edited:
My understanding was that the Studio was the preamp from the IIC, and that it could get the + mode performed on it.

I have no idea what the Quad was based on. It could have been based on the IIC+ instead of the IIC, which would make the rep's statement accurate....but not very helpful?
That was my same understanding. Not very helpful at all lol

When I emailed Mike a few years back they did offer a studio preamp mod.

Do you know where I could find his email?

I was told directly from the horse's mouth that the SP is very similar to the Mark III Blue Stripe.

According to the Boogie manual for the Quad, channel 1 is very similar to the II C, channel 2 being very similar to the Mark III.

The Quad is a great piece of gear stock. Same with the SP. When was the last time your SP was serviced? Maybe before modifying it, send it to Boogie for general service.

Just to clarify, from experience I have had to send, literally, every Boogie I own to Petaluma for proper service. And I've never been disappointed when they came home. All had new life but didn't lose a thing from before. The SP can be dialed into serious agro to crystal cleans; it's a great pre stock

Honestly, I have no clue when it was serviced last but I did plan to have it serviced while it was there being modded. I've just hit a brick wall with the rep saying they don't offer mods for it.

I had a Studio pre and did the IIC+ mods, it sounded great, don't know why they would not mod it, I understand they dont offer the IIC+ mods anymore, would have to contact

Mike Bendinelli​

I think her still does them from time to time. I also had a Quad years ago, I was told by mesa that one channel was very close to the IIC+, the the other channel was more Mark III voiced :)

This is what I've been hearing around but according to the rep I spoke with they don't offer any mods... I guess I'll have to find a way to contact Mike B. directly.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!!

That was my same understanding. Not very helpful at all lol

Do you know where I could find his email?

Honestly, I have no clue when it was serviced last but I did plan to have it serviced while it was there being modded. I've just hit a brick wall with the rep saying they don't offer mods for it.

This is what I've been hearing around but according to the rep I spoke with they don't offer any mods... I guess I'll have to find a way to contact Mike B. directly.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!!
Now that its all Gibson, Im not surprised....

Mike Bendinelli​

I think he still does them from time to time. I also had a Quad years ago, I was told by mesa that one channel was very close to the IIC+, the the other channel was more Mark III voiced :)
I know most people rather have Mike B. do these mods, but some of us can do them for a fair price and get the same results, but be careful of the hackers :) I did them myself on several Mark III's and SP's successfully, so it can be done by a reputable tech.

It is my understanding that Mike is currently not doing mods because he is so backed up with doing service on Mark series amps. This was from a conversation I had with him back in February. You could ask again but I would expect he's still pretty buried in work.

FWIW depending on who answers your CS inquiries do not always share accurate info, and might even be quite insistent about flat out wrong information. I just recently dealt with this. Had I listened to him I wouldve been out over $300 in parts vs. ten bucks...

Now that its all Gibson, Im not surprised....

And for the record, this isn't why. I don't want to name any names but the individual who was quite confidently giving me bad intel is actually a somewhat more forward facing mesa employee and predates the gibson buy out. Fortunately a different CS rep was able to give me correct info and Mike B. clarified some other details himself directly to my tech

FWIW depending on who answers your CS inquiries do not always share accurate info, and might even be quite insistent about flat out wrong information. I just recently dealt with this. Had I listened to him I wouldve been out over $300 in parts vs. ten bucks...

And for the record, this isn't why. I don't want to name any names but the individual who was quite confidently giving me bad intel is actually a somewhat more forward facing mesa employee and predates the gibson buy out. Fortunately a different CS rep was able to give me correct info and Mike B. clarified some other details himself directly to my tech
There is ample info about the IIC+ retrofit changes for the mark III, and yes not more than about $10 in parts. I have done these mods and am quite happy with the results, but if Mesa does the work, expect to pay for it as the tech experience and labor rate is what it is, but you would have the official Mesa mods done that are done to spec as the IIC+ as best it can be, Mike knows these amps best, though any savvy tech that is good with PC board work can do the work, it's not rocket science but expect to pay them for their time if you cannot do it yourself. Mike had said you can get 90-95% their, the transformers and tubes are the final and not so easy to find sauce, but the other mods get me quite close enough that I am not disappointed in anyway!
:)

Last edited:
There is ample info about the IIC+ retrofit changes for the mark III, and yes not more than about $10 in parts. I have done these mods and am quite happy with the results, but if Mesa does the work, expect to pay for it as the tech experience and labor rate is what it is, but you would have the official Mesa mods done that are done to spec as the IIC+ as best it can be, Mike knows these amps best, though any savvy tech that is good with PC board work can do the work, it's not rocket science but expect to pay them for their time if you cannot do it yourself. Mike had said you can get 90-95% their, the transformers and tubes are the final and not so easy to find sauce, but the other mods get me quite close enough that I am not disappointed in anyway!

My situation was just retapping an export Mark IV to US voltage. One support rep told me the actual parts I needed ($10) another guy tried to insist that I needed to buy a whole new transformer for $300 (which is incorrect). I trust my tech, and I trust Mike B. whom he conferred with when doing the retap, and I trust the results of the amp in front of me lol. The CS guy was flat out wrong as confirmed by Mike B.

My situation was just retapping an export Mark IV to US voltage. One support rep told me the actual parts I needed ($10) another guy tried to insist that I needed to buy a whole new transformer for $300 (which is incorrect). I trust my tech, and I trust Mike B. whom he conferred with when doing the retap, and I trust the results of the amp in front of me lol. The CS guy was flat out wrong as confirmed by Mike B.
It's always good to get another opinion, especially from a reputable reliable source ☺️👍🎸☕

It's always good to get another opinion, especially from a reputable reliable source ☺️👍🎸☕
I purchased an output trany for my Mark IVB a few years ago that was a fuller size and did sound better, more open and ballsier tone. He said it came from an earlier stereo simul-class power amp made with the same output transformer as found in the IIC+. I later sold the Mark IVB but took out that OT and put the original stock OT back in before selling it, still have it, funny thing is my Mark III green stripe has the output transformer, it's identical .... So I wonder now if the MARK III's had the same OT as in the IIC+? And went with another vendor with the Mark IVB. I saw a recent video that Mesa was in the middle of production when their Vendor closed their doors without notice Magnetics INC ? If I remember correctly, Mesa finally went with their original transformer vendor from what Doug West was saying in the recent video.

Latest posts

Back