Tonex as an OD pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philosopher

Reaction score
OK, brief intro.
IMO Tonex leaves you with jaws open when you start loading all those AMAZING amp rigs you download from tone.net
You don't see it coming, you can't expect THAT sound for, what? 300-400 euros/dollars? Or half that for Tonex One? Or as a plugin? OMG

The feel and touch of the profiled amps is not there, but the sound, omg, it is.
Why record ANY other way now, other than clean signal and reamp with TONEX?

Anyway, lets get to this thread's subject now.

We all love our tube amps, but many of us still occasionally use an OD/booster in front of them.
The tube preamp acts differently when it gets a clipped input signal, irrespective of its own gain stages.

I've used so many OD pedals over the years, I now settled for two: A Bad Monkey and an OCD.

So after 6 months of owning the Tonex, it suddenly hit me:
Tonex has TONS of profiled pedals. TONS. Let's try 'em in front of the tube amps!

I spent yesterday trying out so many. OMG. Catalinbread, King Of Tone, Klon, TS, SD1/OD3/BD2, Barbershop, Timmy, you name it.
I first tested the ones I know and can compare. Spot on, couldn't tell which one is which! And didn't mess with the feel or touch sensitivity of the amp.
So I already now have at least 15 presets with various of them stored, available at a press of a button. Amazing.

You can't tweak them, so you don't get a full Klon Centaur, you get a Klon Centaur with Gain on 5 and Treble on 6. Need to get a different one for other settings.
But it works, you find what you need with a couple of tries.

WOW. Things are SO much easier these days.

Amazing piece of gear, for dirt cheap money.

Here's a dude speaking for the same thing + some tones

Latest posts

Back