So I got to play a Dual Rectifier today and.........

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep...putting a great amp through a crappy cab is like dropping a Porche engine into a Pinto... :lol:

Although there's no way to find your exact tone immediately with an amp that has controls as sensitive as a Recto (that's a good thing BTW), try this for a quick fix: Stick the amp on Bold, Silicon Diodes, bypass the FX Loop at first, keep the gain around 1:00, the bass around 10:00 - 11:00 max, make sure you have the master volume on at least 10:00, and adjust the rest to taste. That should get you started.

Sounds good, I'll be sure to tell you how everything goes when I get to try it again on Wedensday.

Anyone else?

Ok! Got my guitar back today and got to play the Recto with my guitar.....what a difference....I changed to the silicon diode, and with the high output pickups, this baby sounded amazing. Wow! And this was through a horrible Peavey cab....I can only image what i t will sound like with a real cab.

On the second try, I got rid of all the buzz, the "preamp bees", and the chug was amazing! And the volume was actually really low.

The only problem was that the amp had a microphonic tube, more than likely power the guys said, but it still sounded amazing! Quick tube swap and I'm in business!

So now all I have to do is wait 3 more weeks and spend the money!

glad u enjoyed it. now the real fun begins. (or is it over? the fun is always in the hunt................for more MESA's!)

fo sho

no soul said:
seriously, use a better cab.
Using a good amp with a crappy cab completely defeats the purpose of using a good amp.

Ok! One last question and I'm ready to buy!

For the cab, would you guys recommend I buy:

USED Mesa Boogie Traditional Recto 4x12 (v30's): ~$600 w/ shipping included)
NEW Carvin Legacy 4x12 (v30's) (could also go used to save a little): $600 new/ $400-450 used

So, what would you guys recommend.....this is really alot of money for me, but I'm set and I want to enjoy it, so

I'm getting a Dual recto ($1700....would you recommend going used, I'm worried about getting the head used)

Which cabinet?

I wouldnt worry about getting the head used, just be sure to check it works thoroughly.
Get the Mesa cab...but go for the Standard not Traditional if you can.

The thing is that there are no used rectos around here....it would have to be off ebay.....

And I think I want to go for a smaller cab to focus on the tighter more responsive bass.

I would definitely mate a Mesa Dual Rec head with a Mesa cab, they're sound is engineered towards eachother! Now, wether you buy used or new is a personal thing. I like new, but theres nothing wrong with a well-cared-for set-up! Ask questions like: Where's it been kept? Take note of scuffs and tears, I'd avoid anything like that! Ask about frequency of tube replacement! Look inside for signs of abandonment, like dust! :shock: Good Luck!

Alright....anyone else?

Would you recommend getting a used head if you can't try it before (off ebay)?

And how about the cab situation?

i don't think you would have a problem off ebay. the best bet would be to get off a store that advertises on ebay. or you can try a guitar center auction, where the store sells you the product from their floor and u get all their guarantees. there's a lot of respectable dealers on ebay as well that specialize in selling specific amps. for ex, there are some collectors that sell mesa mark2c's all the time, and id buy off them. just use common sense, go for paypal, get a good price. ask the seller questions, check feebdack. and get the mesa cab

Back