so a guy on ebay is selling a "mark IIB+"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
even though mark IIb+'s don't exist.
he is claiming that it can be upgraded to a c+.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-MKII-B-RARE-BLONDE-NICE_W0QQitemZ170114050610QQihZ007QQcategoryZ43374QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i dropped him a line just saying "Hey, just to let you know, these can't be upgraded to c+ specs. only mark IIC's can."

because if i hadn't said it, someone else would have.

he emails me back with this:

"So like who made you the frickin expert? If they did it then it can be done now."

:roll:

so i told him briefly why it can't be done, and it get this:

"
>Look pal, I didn't say who would do the upgrade. I can do that
>upgrade with the
>schematic as could any decent tech. Just mind your own business and
>give advice
>to those that ask for it. I didn't."

haha. what a hothead.
good luck with that mod :lol:

last time i try to help clear up false info in an auction that i was mildy interested in.

I was going to send him a little wake up call but thought I'd let him look ignorant.

He still has it listed as a "Mk IIB+"......Rare blonde tolex, ehh? I always thought blonde tolex Mk IIb's were fairly common, I see them on ebay all the time....My Mk IIb has blond tolex......$995 seems too much for a Mk IIb, i wouldn't give more than $700 personnally, but then again, it is Mk IIB+, so maybe it's worth it :lol:

I don't meant to be a devil advocate but I had my Mark IIB modified by Mike Benedelli. He upgraded the effect loop and enhance the reverb circuitry. The reverb on Mark IIB and earlier has a "tubby" reverb and putting a digital effect through the effect loop seems to muddy up the signal.

With this new modification, it perform better.

So I call mine a Mark IIB+. Not an upgrade to a II-C but IIB w/ enhancement.[?]

FYI....a Mark2B CAN be moddd to C+ specs. They won't do it nowadays at the factory if I recall, but it can be done.

Especially if the person is a good amp tech.

Elpelotero said:
FYI....a Mark2B CAN be moddd to C+ specs. They won't do it nowadays at the factory if I recall, but it can be done.

Especially if the person is a good amp tech.
A good mechanic can upgrade an old Mustang to Shelby specs but that don't make it a Shelby.

I state fully here my belief that a 2C+ can only be a 2C+ if it is a factory original --- Value 10/10

Second I state that any amp moded by the factory (mike B) to 2C+ specs (be it a b, or a C) is simply what it is --- a moded B or C. Value 7/10 (maybe 8 on a good day) in reference to a C+ original (all else being equal).

3rd -- any amp (B or C) moded by an outside amp tech (ie, not factory and not Mike B) is simply a moded or bastardized amp. Value in reference to a true C+ is variable but I'd say in general between 4-6/10.

Yet equally, if an outside guy mods a B or a C you also lose/gain the value of whatever that amp was originally --- it is no longer a factory original B, or C --- hence you must equally factor in that loss (or gain) for value. Example... a well moded b (outside of factory) might make the amp have a value of 11/10 in reference to a B, and 6/10 in reference to a C+.... a poorly moded outside of factory B might have a value of 7/10 or 6/10 in reference to an original and untouched b, and 4/10 in reference to a C+....

Now before you guys get all crazy -- there are lots of you with moded amps and that's great -- enjoy them! Recognise you have a total bias (resale wise) to try to equate the value of a moded amp to a factory original ---- as an owner of a fully loaded original C+, I equally have a bias to differentiate my factory original from any moded amp ------ so no problem stating my own bias --- but an original is an original, and nothing that can be said will change that.

eldi said:
He still has it listed as a "Mk IIB+"......Rare blonde tolex, ehh? I always thought blonde tolex Mk IIb's were fairly common, I see them on ebay all the time....

Blonde tolex was only available as a custom order on the IIB+.

:lol:

gts said:
1st:
To mod a B to a C+:
There needs to be a PCB switch on a Mark IIB to upgrade one to a IIC+. These PCB's are not longer available form Mesa.

Dasein said:
Now before you guys get all crazy -- there are lots of you with moded amps and that's great -- enjoy them! Recognise you have a total bias (resale wise) to try to equate the value of a moded amp to a factory original ---- as an owner of a fully loaded original C+, I equally have a bias to differentiate my factory original from any moded amp ------ so no problem stating my own bias --- but an original is an original, and nothing that can be said will change that.
Well we've been down this road a few times. Not worth it again but for reference Mike B's own opinion: "A Mark IIC to IIC+ done by him is no different than an original IIC+. "

We're talking SOUND/ TONE here folks NOT the value (or resale value) as percieved by a collector (or anyone else).
Since most here are not collectors it's that sound/ tone that is of the most interest.

+1

If you think your C+ is better because its original, sell it to someone that really plays i and buy a 57 les paul, those are crappy anyway...

My C+ is what it is --- a factory original C+ that I bought when I was 14 years old. Never heard another amp that sounds as good -- doubt I ever will. But it is what it is -- not just what it sounds. In deference to Socrates: I am am what I am, therefor I sound like I sound. NOT I sound like I sound therefor I am what I am not.

And as for selling....... I never will.

Value, schmalue, just play the **** things and don't worry about the freakin' "value". Call my modded IIC+ a lesser amp and I don't care - it is still a IIC+ and has tremendous "value" as a piece of sound generating gear. Collectors would look at my IIC to C+ factory upgrade with the "100" tranny and WITHOUT EQ and scoff. I don't give a rats *** and am thrilled to have gotten a decent deal on it in spite of the collectors driving the prices to the point where fewer and fewer of us can afford to benefit from these amazing amps. Too many cool pieces of gear have been priced out of the player's range and have become investments only and I think that sucks. I can just hear Nigel Tufnel; "Don't even look at it!". Bastards. Z

Interesting.....

I noticed the person who posted this auction added this bit to it:

"Do to all the Mesa Boogie experts out there that have extended their comments about this amp we are going to add the statement that we obviously don't know "jack" about this amp. That being said, it is what it is and it is what you can see it is. Nothing more, nothing less. In an effort to be historically correct with MB amps we have made some changes to the listing to reflect conventional wisdom. As you can see the pictures remain the same as does the amp. This is a great sounding MB amp in great condition and if you're looking for that kind of amp you will find no better. Here at TBGMusic we are players first and historians somewhere further down the line. I do hope a player gets this amp!"

my 1981 mark2b:

secretboogiesettingscb3.jpg

i never thought there was anything special about the tolex...
they asked me what color i wanted when i ordered it, i said, 'cream', they said 'cool'.

;)

i'm fixing to take it to an authorized repair guy, for it's first tune-up...
any suggestions?

The general consensus on this discussion board seems to be is to pack the amp up & ship it to the Mesa/Boogie factory to have Mike B do the work. If anything, going that route you can be assured that it will be done right...I'm wanting to send my Mk IIb to have him go over it, but I'm trying to save the $....living paycheck to pcycheck sucks!

I agree with GTS regarding Mike B's statement "A Mark IIC to IIC+ done by me is no different than an original IIC+. " I am getting my Mark IIC modded to C+ status and he said basically the same thing to me as well. He also said that the components are the same (more or less) as a factory IIC+. To me it's all about the tone, and I would imagine after Mike B is done working on the amp, tone wise it will be identical to a factory C+, however I can see the point of resale value (not being an orig. factory C+). But to me that isn't an issue, in the end I will have Mark IIC+ Coliseum 300 head, do I care it's not an orig IIC+, not at all! I just want that sound! ha

Latest posts

Back