Smelly Boogie - How Do I Get Rid Of This??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if all else fails ... i have a buddy who sells industrial air cleaners - a filter machine with a HEPA filter and pump. he rents to used car dealers to remove odors - dead or cigarettes or whatever. he sells them to old folks homes.

it's a nationwide company - they have a 30 day free demo. he has people "demo" all the time - if you need a number let me know. one car dealer buys the "drug murder" cars at auction and after a carpet shampoo ... and 48 hours of running the machine in the car - you just can't smell any more Crip (or Blood ... whatever).

good luck.

Take your chassis out of the box and take a sponge with a little bit of tooth paste and water and rub down the tolex and. Then use a sponge and wipe it clean. Kind of like waxing a car with paste wax. You could even let it set for an hour or so before the final rinse wipe. Did the trick on an old Traynor I was trying to restore.
As for the inside/non tolex wood, try wiping it down with diluted commercial grade simple green a couple times, or just use toothpaste. The ply boogie uses is the best stuff you can buy, so don't worry about it warping or separating unless you submerge it in salt water for a few weeks.
Good luck!

MesaDCLP said:
Sixstringpsycho said:
... a cat pissed in his bass drum ...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not sure how it got in there, but that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!!!
I can picture it being smart enough to aim into the port. "What's in this hole? Let me pee in it!!"
Mwahahahaha!!!

It was just like that I'm sure lol. Everytime we played it would smell worse and worse. He was pushing the smell out everywhere lol

Sixstringpsycho said:
It was just like that I'm sure lol. Everytime we played it would smell worse and worse. He was pushing the smell out everywhere lol
Brings new meaning to the saying, "that band stinks!!"

Funny as hell!!! :lol:

Ha ha, funny responses!

On a more serious note, if you're still tackling this issue, check this similar thread out:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46317&p=334248#p334248

Fabreeze for cars....spray the whole thing including speaker....used to do that when smoke smell was a problem works great. then just wipe off excess.

Having gone through this EXACT same thing a month ago (there are threads here), I can say that nothing about this situation is the least bit funny... ok, except for the cat pissing in the bass drum and the reply that "everyone's a critic".

Anyway, mine had the stench of Indian cooking like it was sitting in the "Royal Taj" during their dinner rush for a month. It was AWFUL!

Liberally spray Fabreze and wipe with paper towels for a few days, leave it outside during the day for a few hours each day, etc. like everyone else said and that SHOULD take care of most of it. I still catch a whif when I need to plug in speaker cable and my head is around the back of the amp. I left the amp cover outside for a month and that took care of it (along with the Fabreze).

Definitely not a laughing matter though. It makes you want to sell the amp... like Seinfeld did with his car when it smelled.

when i got an amp from GC online it smelled really bad like rotten fruit and smoke. i Used armor all and baking soda and that did the trick.

You might want to give this stuff a try.

http://www.antiickypoo.com/

We use it around the house on the carpets, floors, etc. when the cats yak or poop on things. It does work. Good luck!

Matt

Combination said:

I suppose I'm blessed that the amp doesn't have this smell.

A long time ago, I pulled into a parking lot and almost ran over a skunk.

He let my nostrils know exactly how he felt - every time I drove my car for about the next month. I still remember having to throw out a new jacket that was in the back seat! :shock:

:lol: We have a black dog with a white stripe on her stomach (wrong side), that is addicted to killing skunks. :lol:
She's a great dog, but we affectionately have re-named her "Stinky!"

Did you fix the smell?????

Man....I have to say, I really think that sucks big time! Admittedly, I haven't read through the entire thread.....I was disgusted to do so! :shock:

Who are you having service your amps? My take on the matter is to go back to whoever serviced your amp, and DEMAND that THEY remove the stench!!! After all, it wouldn't hurt for them to know how disgusting of a business they are running!!

You also mentioned 5 weeks to repair your amp. I think that is ridiculous unless it had to be sent back to MB. However, if you had sent it back to MB....it would smell like S*&!

Personally, I would raise hell with the shop you took it to.....unless of course you feared your life might be endangered. Based on what you are describing...maybe you did fear your life!

Best of luck

typo......"However, if you had sent it back to MB it WOULD NOT have smelled like S*&!" upon return.

I had a similar problem in a used Deluxe Reverb. I had great luck to get rid of ugly stale cigarette and moldy-funk that was making me gag - by using a combination of two treatments. :idea:

(1) On a bright sunny day, mix baking soda with water to make a light paste and apply lightly any place not electrical, be sure to open the baffle in the back and get all around the reverb tank cloth pad thingy. It goes without saying, but don't get it on the speaker cone. Wipe up. It really doesn't take much, so go easy, and not much water. Can use plain warm water on a rag for the grill cloth. Easy does it.

(2) After wiping that up, I set it in bright sun for a few hours - on a sunny wood porch. I separately exposed the front and back to sunlight, with the baffle out of the back - "exposed" the baffle too. I put a T-shirt over the speaker & cone when exposing the back as UV is pretty tough on paper, but I don't know if that was really necessary. After that, if there is a little smell left I think I tried the heat/sunlight treatment again (hey it's free and no clean-up), and put a box of baking soda with the top peeled off inside the body near the reverb pan for a week or so. This treament worked very well. So well, I'm going to have to try it on an ugly cat-pee guitar case I just inherited. The sun treatment is really three things: heat to drive off volatiles that you are smelling, fresh air with ozone, and UV exposure to destroy the aromatic molecules at the source. Remember UV is a direct light beam, so is doesn't work in a shadow - so choose a clear sunny day and avoid shadows.

Your mileage may vary....and someone may gasp at this idea so I'm all ears. :wink:

MB Junkie

Who are you having service your amps? My take on the matter is to go back to whoever serviced your amp, and DEMAND that THEY remove the stench!!! After all, it wouldn't hurt for them to know how disgusting of a business they are running!!

You also mentioned 5 weeks to repair your amp. I think that is ridiculous unless it had to be sent back to MB. However, if you had sent it back to MB....it would smell like S*&!

The tech I took it to is in the New Orleans area - if you live near there, I can tell you who it is to avoid. Yeah, 5 weeks was bad for very minor work - not to mention the bonus gift with a stench. Luckily, I think it's pretty much gone at this point.

But I'm currently dealing with an effects repair guy who still has a pedal of mine after 3 **** months! It's Ronald Neely "The EH Man", if anyone has any experience with him?

I have a stinky guitar, smells like alcohol, or TCP or something. I've never smelled a nitro guitar before, so seeing as this guitar is a "homemade" relic, I thought maybe whoever did the job did something to the finish, and it just ended up stinking.

Would the baking soda work for this? If so, how would I do it?

Latest posts

Back