sliver cases on preamp tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Courtney

Reaction score
Are these necessary? I dont like the way they look and would like tot ake them off, but I figurethey must be on there for a reason right?

Jeff Courtney

They make the tubes taste better.

As far as I know it just helps keep them seated properly...

Think about it,poweramp tubes have a plastic base that a clippy thing connects to, preamp tubes don't have a bgase to clip onto so the sleeves hold them in place.

But, I'm prolly wrong.

DAMAGED said:
its also a sheild against interferance.
We have winner. IIRC THE reason for the tube jackets is to cut down on outside signals (radio etc.) from making it into the signal chain.

I thought it was something that needed to come off once they were placed. Maybe I should put them back on? It was weird since out of the 5 preamp tubes I got only 2 of them had those sleeves on it so I had no idea what they were.

Also, I got 3 packs of 6L6 duets from Mesa and all of the tubes have a grey color label except for one that is green. I find it strange that Mesa would have those different in a matched pair. Am I wrong to think this? From what they have told me the color doesn't matter its just for keeping things in order, but I found it very odd that they where different. Made me wonder if someone had messed with the package at the store and maybe I got someones older tubes!!

Any thoughts?

later on,

The aluminum helps to dissipate heat through the spring and cover as well.

About this mis-matched quad, I would say you got a duet that were goofed up. I have never bought a Mesa duet with two different color codes.

cbsmith said:
I thought it was something that needed to come off once they were placed. Maybe I should put them back on? It was weird since out of the 5 preamp tubes I got only 2 of them had those sleeves on it so I had no idea what they were. Any thoughts?
Yes they should be put back on. The reason only two tubes had the shields is that those two tubes are the ones that are susceptible to outside noise and interference.

jbird said:
Prevents vibration, ie; tube rattle.
Maybe??? but the spring in the cover vibrates even more, especially at high volumes. When I'm recording I take them out but otherwise I leave them in.

Back