Slightly Pissed...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony1967

Reaction score
Hey Fellas:

I just got a Triple Rectifier (3 Channel) from Guitar Center just about a month ago only to find out that the Dual Rectifier Roadster will be available shortly. I am thinking maybe I should have waited and got the new series. (I didn't even know it was available.) I could return the amp I guess, however I just ordered a custom case for it.

On the upside, although I've heard glowing reviews mainly about the DR Roadster, there seems to be an issue with the reverb fading in and out when switching channels as well as a noticeable dropout when going from one channel to another.

Is this true? If so then I guess I'll wait till they work the bugs out and get a new amp next year sometime.

Let me know--

Anthony1967

I tried a Roadstar combo and the reverb didn't work at all. I put it up against a DR/Recto 2x12 in the same sound room. There was no comparison, I would have chosen the DR/2x12 for sure. I was looking for a lighter rig for rooms we play that involve going up a flight or two of stairs...YUCK. The DR with the Recto 2x12, still sounded like a big old badboy, while the Roadster sounded like a watered down version..still nice but not as bold and tight.

Mark Day
www.thesamhillband.com

weird .. I have heard nothing but the oposite .. the roadster is supose to be pretty tight.

I haven't played one but have only heard GREAT things about the Roadster. I'd probably have gotten one of those instead of the DR.

The reverb issue is in how they designed it and isn't a flaw. The reverb isn't supposed to come in for about 5-10 seconds after switching channels (it's that way on the Road King series 1 & 2 as well and I believe the Lonestars too). This is supposed to prevent the huge reverb tank from being shocked and ratteling really lound in the middle of switching channels. Once you switch channels, it takes a few seconds for the reverb to be audiable and then it fades in pretty quickly from there.... I didn't like it at first, but then I realized I don't notice it in a live situation and if I don't notice it then nobody else will (since I'm usually the biggest tone freak in a room at any given time). :wink:

I think Guitar Center has a 45 day return policy, so you could always return it?? But unless the GC has a Roadster or you know where one is, there is about a 6-12 week wait when ordering the Roadster (maybe longer).

I have the lonestar and it has the 2-3 second delay in switching in the reverb.
It really isnt noticable after some time with it.
I kind of like the idea, im not pounding the crap out of the tank.
sd

I guess it's a matter of opinion concerning the reverb. I had still heard that there was a delay between switching channels themselves--is that true?

Anthony1967 said:
I guess it's a matter of opinion concerning the reverb. I had still heard that there was a delay between switching channels themselves--is that true?

hahaha

I'm sorry, I don't have anything to bring to this topic but I LOVE your avatar

:lol:

My Lonestar does the reverb delay when switching channels. It bothered me at first but doesn't any longer. Live it is not that noticeable. It is in the 2-3 second range for full effect but you start hearing the reverb after about a second.

On another note I have a 3ch VooDoo Modded Dual Rec and I wouldn't trade it for a Roadking or a Roadster. Period.

The tone is Massive, responsive, articulate and harmonically rich.

For a rock I wouldn't buy a head with reverb built in. On a combo you try to get where you are not carrying as much stuff but it doesn't really work out that way. I still put pedals in the front or effects through the loop.

No biggie either way.

Stay with your Stiletto. Buy a boost/gain pedal and a reverb pedal/processor.

Read some bad reviews concerning voodoo mods on Harmony Central. One guy had a picture of his amps circuit board where Trace apparently covered the circuits with black epoxy to hide is work--thus making the amp unserviceable. He also signed the amp in various places with black magic marker! Here, check out this picture:

http://www.frankencat.com/voodoo/

I was considering them but I don't want to butcher my head -- what was your experience?

Anthony1967 said:

I have a Roadster and there is no channel switching delay.

Anthony1967 said:
Read some bad reviews concerning voodoo mods on Harmony Central. One guy had a picture of his amps circuit board where Trace apparently covered the circuits with black epoxy to hide is work--thus making the amp unserviceable. He also signed the amp in various places with black magic marker! Here, check out this picture:

I was considering them but I don't want to butcher my head -- what was your experience?

I noticed you posted this a couple different times and in the interests of clarifying;

1.) We have emails from Frank that are dated 6 months prior to him sending us his Soldano where he is asking us for tech-help regarding his Marshall Plexi that he himself had built. He also asked us about Dual Rectifiers and other high gain amps in that time period.

2.) Frank is a tech, admittedly (which is stated in his emails) he had already modded his Soldano before he sent it to us.

3.) We told him on several occasions (both on the phone as well as in emails) that we did not like to do work for other techs, as it is a conflict of interest. He repeatedly emailed and called us until I finally agreed to do the work.

4.) We told Frank on the phone as well as in several emails that we were going to epoxy our work and that was the only way we would agree to do the work for him. He agreed. We have *all* the email correspondence saved that clearly proves this.

5.) The amp arrived damaged (box was damaged, tubes were blown out of the amp, etc.)

6.) A UPS damage claim was filed. Frank received a damage claim.

7.) Frank went on every message board on the net and stated that we epoxied his amp without his knowledge (which is lie), he failed to mention that he was tech and more importantly that the amp was damaged.

8.) After several customers emailed and called us alerting us to the postings I personally phoned Frank on the phone. I spoke with Frank and gave him the opportunity to be honest and state *all* the facts as his story was horribly one sided. He flat out told me that he would not admit to the fact that he was made fully aware that we were going to epoxy his amp. As a result I was left with no other choice but to post the email replies, which clearly stated he had prior knowledge (several times). Once I posted the emails Frank stopped posting on HC few several months. That thread should be in the archives here on HC.

9.) When ever asked about this incident Frank repeatedly fails to mention all that facts as well as the fact that he *was awarded and damage claim by UPS.*We did everything humanly possible to help him, including offering to 2-day ship and amp for him to use until UPS settled the damage claim.

We have *all* the emails to prove everything that has been stated here. Whenever this comes up we have always offered to provide the emails and to talk with anyone who has concerns (shop line is 607-256-0465).

DIY'ers: We will no longer do work for anyone who is a tech/DIY'er/Homebrewer, etc. We have always been more than happy to lend tech advice, provide schematics, etc. We get a great deal of calls from DIY'ers and we are always happy to help in any way we can (we have never charged anyone for this).

Just so it's clear: We do not epoxy amps and have not done so for several years. We only used epoxy on amps that we loaded our Hex or Witchdoctor circuits into. We never used expoxy on Mesas, Peaveys, etc. If you have visited our website then you would see the following at the top right hand side of nearly every mod page on our website – “All modifications are 100% fully serviceable - No Epoxy used.”

Hope it helps
Trace

samhill said:
I tried a Roadstar combo and the reverb didn't work at all. I put it up against a DR/Recto 2x12 in the same sound room. There was no comparison, I would have chosen the DR/2x12 for sure. I was looking for a lighter rig for rooms we play that involve going up a flight or two of stairs...YUCK. The DR with the Recto 2x12, still sounded like a big old badboy, while the Roadster sounded like a watered down version..still nice but not as bold and tight.

Mark Day
www.thesamhillband.com

+1 for me on that--when they add all of the pretty stuff onto the front of the amp it seems to make everything else just that much prettier. It seems like this is fine if your looking for more versatility than attitude but I personally am willing to trade the pretty for the attitude. Nothing beats the original balls to the wall sound of a dual or even better a triple. Nothing slamms your balls against the wall like the sheer power and gain of a triple in my opinion. It just seems to me like you loose something when you go to the All-in-One box. :wink:

Anthony1967 said:

Wow!! Thats rediculous! So what if you decided you didnt like the way the mod made it sound? I guess your screwed! Buy another head!! :x

Modding an amp for a certain tone or sound seems silly to me. As musicians we always tend to follow trends but somehow want to be unique. I think you could find what you are looking for if you started digging around looking at different tubes. Tube swapping appears to be costly at first glance but atleast it is easily reversible. I would hate for you to dump serious cash into modifications, void your warranty, and a little ways down the road you decide it wasn't the right choice.

I find it funny how I listen back to some recordings and think; I actually thought that was a good tone? Oh well, live and learn. Now I have a Triaxis and a 20/20 that should ,hopefully, last a few years until I find the next best thing (maybe a Zinky head?). If you are really unhappy with what you have then return it if you can and go with something else. Atleast you will get a chance to experience a broader tonal pallette that way rather than listening to bad/misguiding reviews.

disassembled said:
until I find the next best thing (maybe a Zinky head?)

Bruce Zinky makes a great product. I've played his Blue Velvet's and his Tremolectric (which is a VibroKing in disguise) in the Supro line. Very gig friendly amps, minimal amout of knobs for dialing in your tone.

Micah said:
Anthony1967 said:

Wow!! Thats rediculous! So what if you decided you didnt like the way the mod made it sound? I guess your screwed! Buy another head!! :x

This is all old and very refuted information. Trace even posted it in this thread. I'd just like to say that as a business man Trace is class and up front. Whether you like mods or not isn't the point. This other guy continues his ancient smear campaign against a good guy and I think its shitty that he does.

-P

Back