Slave Out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indieboy

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand the difference between Slave Out and Speaker Out on my ROV Series 2. Am I right in thinking Slave Out takes a feed after the pre-amp but before the power amp, and that Speaker Out takes the feed from after the power amp?

I'm trying to decide where to run a GI 100 speaker-emulator DI box to connect the amp to a mixing desk. I'm going to try the Slave Out, but by bypassing the power amp section don't you lose a lot of the tone you hope to get from a tube amp?

I know micing the cab is probably a better option but I'd like to look at the DI box option first based on cost & practicality.

Thanks to anyone who can supply the missing piece to this confusing (to me!) jigsaw.

indieboy said:
I'm trying to understand the difference between Slave Out and Speaker Out on my ROV Series 2. Am I right in thinking Slave Out takes a feed after the pre-amp but before the power amp, and that Speaker Out takes the feed from after the power amp?

I'm trying to decide where to run a GI 100 speaker-emulator DI box to connect the amp to a mixing desk. I'm going to try the Slave Out, but by bypassing the power amp section don't you lose a lot of the tone you hope to get from a tube amp?

I know micing the cab is probably a better option but I'd like to look at the DI box option first based on cost & practicality.

Thanks to anyone who can supply the missing piece to this confusing (to me!) jigsaw.

you are correct in that slave out is preamp only. i've never looked into speaker out too much, but i believe you are correct here also. the speaker out, if in the context you described, is suited for a DI box IF AND ONLY IF this DI box accepts the amps load from the output transformer. In ohter words, you should have a little Ohm rating on there.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. You can always call Mesa by phone to double check.

i am also not 100% but i think the load is only needed to not damage the amp. if you go speaker out to the DI and one connection(xlr) to the board, and another back to the speaker, thus putting a load on, will work. there should be 2 speaker outs on the ROV, right ? you should be able to use them both too.

BENNY said:
i am also not 100% but i think the load is only needed to not damage the amp. if you go speaker out to the DI and one connection(xlr) to the board, and another back to the speaker, thus putting a load on, will work. there should be 2 speaker outs on the ROV, right ? you should be able to use them both too.
i don't know if there are DI units which support the high output of a poweramp!

Back