Slave out question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMcNibbnles

Reaction score
I was reading that, if you use the slave out on an amp, you need a speaker load. That's pretty obvious.... my question is.... if I'm using a Mark IIB (or any combo) and I simply leave its speaker plugged in and use the slave out on the back, that would be fine, right? I just need to have a speaker plugged somewhere into the amp....

Yes, you can slave out as long as you have a speaker hooked up. The only issue may be that the slave is
driven off the output transformer taps so if you plan on using it you need volume going to the speaker or
your signal is dead. For recording most of us use an isolation cab or bury the speaker in a closet under rugs,
blankets and deer skins.

Well, I have the slave out going into my recording interface (Presonus) and I'm using a cab impulse in Sonar. When I do this, I'm getting sound from the amp speakers and from Sonar. It's weird because the Mark IIB manual claims there's a preamp out/ power amp out on the back of the amp, but there isn't, just slave. Weird.

And, one more question for anyone who feels like answering: in the back of my Mark II, underneath the speaker and the fan, there appears to be something that's kind of wrapped up in a sort of a plastic-ish material. I thought that it might be the footswitch, but I can't remove it because the fan is there and it's too big to slide out. Anyone know what it might be?

The big bag at the bottom is a reverb tank. The preamp in/power amp out jack is underneath the chassis, not on the back.
It's a 1/4 jack on the bottom left of the reverb jacks and the REV/EQ foot switch is the one to the right.

BMcNibbnles said:

And, one more question for anyone who feels like answering: in the back of my Mark II, underneath the speaker and the fan, there appears to be something that's kind of wrapped up in a sort of a plastic-ish material. I thought that it might be the footswitch, but I can't remove it because the fan is there and it's too big to slide out. Anyone know what it might be?

Maybe the previous owners stash? :lol:

Boogiebabies:

Not to be annoying and I'm sure that I'm just being an idiot - but I really don't understand where any of those things are located. These are on the Mark IIB combo, correct? Could you maybe describe in detail what you mean? (or someone)

Boogiebabies said:
Yes, you can slave out as long as you have a speaker hooked up. The only issue may be that the slave is
driven off the output transformer taps so if you plan on using it you need volume going to the speaker or
your signal is dead. For recording most of us use an isolation cab or bury the speaker in a closet under rugs,
blankets and deer skins.
Not true if you use a speaker load. I use a Hot Plate set to load for just this purpose.

Boogiebabies said:
The preamp in/power amp out jack is underneath the chassis, not on the back.
Just curious shouldn't that be pre-amp out/power-amp in, otherwise known as an efx loop.

BMcNibbnles said:
Boogiebabies:

Not to be annoying and I'm sure that I'm just being an idiot - but I really don't understand where any of those things are located. These are on the Mark IIB combo, correct? Could you maybe describe in detail what you mean? (or someone)

Behind the power tubes.

Boogiebabies said:
t0aj15 said:
Boogiebabies said:
The preamp in/power amp out jack is underneath the chassis, not on the back.
Just curious shouldn't that be pre-amp out/power-amp in, otherwise known as an efx loop.

Stop being a dick and read the manual.

Also, it sound like *** with a dummy load.
I wasn't being an dick, I asked a legitimate question because I don't have the time or inclination to download and read a manual for an amp I don't even own. I thought I'd ask instead, because after all isn't that what this place is all about?

And I disagree about the dummy load, it sounds just fine with the several amps I have tried it with.

BTW, what in the he!! is with the attitude?

Boogiebabies, I completely believe you when you say that these jacks are located somewhere on the amp, but I must be totally retarded. I can't find them at all. LOL! I have felt all around the amp in every logical place and it's baffling me why I can't locate the stupid things. I'm really starting to think my amp just doesn't have it. I'll just have to keep feeling around for them, I guess.

Boogiebabies said:
If you don't know the amp, don't comment. It's not productive at all to the OP.
I understand now, it's you alone who decides who posts and who doesn't. Strange I missed that in the forum rules. :roll:

BMcNibbnles said:
I'm really starting to think my amp just doesn't have it. I'll just have to keep feeling around for them, I guess.

On the bottom of the chassis, in between the preamp and power tubes, on the left side of the RCA jacks for the reverb (looking from the rear).

Got it! I didn't realize that I literally had to stick my hand WAY underneath the amp, past the tubes. Could they have put these jacks in a worse place???? Okay, now for another question: if I'm going to use the amp with cabinet impulses, should I use the preamp out or the slave out? I'd like to be able to use the graphic EQ on the amp rather than have to do post EQ'ing in my DAW. So, what's the better way?

BMcNibbnles said:
Got it! I didn't realize that I literally had to stick my hand WAY underneath the amp, past the tubes. Could they have put these jacks in a worse place???? Okay, now for another question: if I'm going to use the amp with cabinet impulses, should I use the preamp out or the slave out? I'd like to be able to use the graphic EQ on the amp rather than have to do post EQ'ing in my DAW. So, what's the better way?

On the MKIV, the graphic EQ can only be tapped if you use the slave out. Using a pre-amp out (same as FX loop out, aye?) will tap the signal before the graph-EQ is factored in. I would assume it's the same on your amp... try the slave out. Keep your send volumes low and work up slowly, that signal gets hot in a hurry.

Yeah, I was just playing around with it and the slave out is definitely more flexible because of the use of the graphic EQ. Thanks for reply, I will keep playing around with it to perfect the recorded tone now.

ta0j15 - good questions.

Is the slave out equivalent to the recording out circuitry of e.g., a Studio Caliber or is it just straight off the OT transformer?

They put the jacks down there on the bottom because boogies are so packed with goodies, that's the only place they will fit!

O==00==O said:
ta0j15 - good questions.

Is the slave out equivalent to the recording out circuitry of e.g., a Studio Caliber or is it just straight off the OT transformer?

They put the jacks down there on the bottom because boogies are so packed with goodies, that's the only place they will fit!

I think the recording out circuitry is slightly different, but I do believe it also includes the GEQ. There's something about the recording out jack that sounds and feels different, but maybe someone can chime in exactly why that is. There has to be a difference, otherwise why would it be there...

Latest posts

Back