Skool a Noob on speakers and Cabs (and T/A GAS-questions)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth155

Reaction score
so i think my MB 50 Cal+ is WAY too much power for my needs as an apartment-player

and i Love LOVE the look of the T/A, and its got the 15, and 5 watt options, or something like that.

i was wondering a few things though
is this amp good for styles from:
Hendrix/Zeppelin to Obituary/Malevolent Creation
obviously everybody knows the Hendrix/Zeppelin guitar tones
and i can't describe guitar tone or timbre for sh1t,
but these are some high-gain tones i like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8-J4hL7iDM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNvGcVYqolI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A70bvIbTivE (you can scroll around on this one, its a long song)

i assume that for the Metal-Distotion i'd need some kind of boost ( i know sh1t about those as well)

but here's my biggest question:
how the hell do you know what kind of cabinet to get
and how the heck to you know what types of speakers

if i did do the the T/A-thing, i wouldn't go any bigger than a 2x12
and probably it would most likely be a 1x12
but how do you know what speaker(s) to use?

I played and heard a TA-15 at the Mesa factory. They we ran it through their standard 'test" cabinet which is a recto 4x12. Run it through whatever you like, pick your size cabinet and choice of speakers. Rumor on the board is that they have created a TA cabinet, which is a variation of the widebody 1x12 with a Lonestar type look to it.

Yes, you get get grind tones on it, but it will excel at the mid gain and classic rock tones.

babow2 said:
I played and heard a TA-15 at the Mesa factory. They we ran it through their standard 'test" cabinet which is a recto 4x12. Run it through whatever you like, pick your size cabinet and choice of speakers. Rumor on the board is that they have created a TA cabinet, which is a variation of the widebody 1x12 with a Lonestar type look to it.

Yes, you get get grind tones on it, but it will excel at the mid gain and classic rock tones.

yeah, i've been checking out clips on line... i know, not the best way to demo an amp. but it seems like it needs a whole lot more "whatever" to get into Obituary styles.
i think i just passed that little build-up of GAS

I doubt you'll get the high gain tones you're looking for out of a TA.

This might not appeal to you, but I think it's worth mentioning anyway. I think you could easily get those high gain tones out of a Keeley modified Metal Zone. I've never played a stock one, but the first link sounds exactly like the Keeley I used to have. They don't break the bank, either. Google Robert Keeley if you're interested. You could easily find a two channel amplifier that does Hendrix/Zeppelin and then add the Metal Zone to the clean channel for high gain. Just a thought.

I used a Keeley Metal Zone when I lived with a dirtbag roommate and it got me the best apartment metal tones I've ever had that didn't get complaints to my landlord.

Back