Single Recto Problem?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesaman56k

Reaction score
Hello all, This is my first time posting on the boards, been reading on here for a while but finally decided to join the fun!

I have a question for anyone to might be able to help me out.

I got my first Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Solo 50 Series 2 and got it home and played around on the Modern channel and got it set up where it sounded good, then i went to switch to the "Vintage" mode and, it dropped in volume and treble about 70%. I tried going to the Raw mode and it stayed the same but with less overdrive. When i go back to Modern it pops back in with the original volume and treble.

I asked around but no one really could give me a straight answer, i tried pulling the power tubes and switching them around. Nothing changed. i tried moving a few preamp tubes around but didn't it change either. I only switch the end 2 because i was kinda nervous messing around in there.

Anyone have a idea what this could be?

i don't have a tech around my area that can look at it, unless i drive a 2 hour round trip. but for the price of him looking at it, and gas i was thinking i might just be able to buy a full re-tube kit from Eurotubes.com. But what do you think?

Also about Eurotubes, i asked a guy at GuitarC and he said " Mesa can only take Mesa tubes, bla bla bla "

This is wrong, right? because it has JJ tubes in it atm and, on there site they have full re-tube sets for Mesa's....

Your amp is absolutely fine. The vintage is voiced with less negative feedback giving more volume and is brighter compared to the vintage and raw. So no need for you to go repair it.

Yeah the Vintage and Raw channels are voiced very different than the Modern channel. Read the manual it helps a lot! I neglected to do this for about a year, but I unlocked a lot of great tones once I did.

"Mesa amps can only take Mesa tubes" = false. Never trust anyone who works for Guitar Center.

scott1 said:
"Mesa amps can only take Mesa tubes" = false. Never trust anyone who works for Guitar Center.

Well, the OP may not understand all the implications of your statement.

Mesa amps are non-adjustable fixed bias, which means there is no trimpot for adjustment of bias voltages.

Mesa tubes fit into the window of voltages that is acceptable. Outside vendors can match tubes that fit into the mesa spec and nothing will be wrong. However not all tubes will fit into this range. This is why Bob at Eurotubes offers the mesa set. However he's a JJ ***** and I buy my tubes from www.kcanostubes.com .

awesome, thank you all! i also sent a email to eurotubes.com and they said the same thing. it makes me feel a ton better. I traded this amp for a Peavey JSX, and it did not come with a manual, but i did find one On-line and i have been trying to read up on it.

Thanks all!

What types of tubes do you recommend for 90's metal and new rock / metal?

Back