Single Recto power

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wildrat666 said:
actually 3 decibles are double up. read about sounds and decibles then you will find out that it is double up the volume

Actually yes, to create an increase of +3dB you will need 2X the output power. That does not mean the amp will be twice as loud.

The difference in average SPL of a 100W amp vs. a 50W is 3dB (with the same level input signal). So yes, when you double the output power, you increase the SPL by 3dB.

But, that does not mean this 3dB increase will make the amp "Twice as loud". Put a sound meter in front of your amp, set the volume to a resonable level (say 60dB). Now, adjust the volume to get a +3dB increase on the SPL meter (63dB), believe me, the amp is not "Twice as loud".

Be careful of throwing around text-book quotes when you do not understand the theory of what you are saying.

Dom

domct203 said:
wildrat666 said:
actually 3 decibles are double up. read about sounds and decibles then you will find out that it is double up the volume

Actually yes, to create an increase of +3dB you will need 2X the output power. That does not mean the amp will be twice as loud.

The difference in average SPL of a 100W amp vs. a 50W is 3dB (with the same level input signal). So yes, when you double the output power, you increase the SPL by 3dB.

But, that does not mean this 3dB increase will make the amp "Twice as loud". Put a sound meter in front of your amp, set the volume to a resonable level (say 60dB). Now, adjust the volume to get a +3dB increase on the SPL meter (63dB), believe me, the amp is not "Twice as loud".

Be careful of throwing around text-book quotes when you do not understand the theory of what you are saying.

Dom

Thank you for elaborating on what I was saying. :)

Back