Single recto convert to EL-34

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-BOOGIE_MAN-

Reaction score
Guys,

Anyone ever tried converting your single recto to EL-34??

I like the 6L6, but I kinda miss the brightness of EL-34.

I contacted eurotubes and he said I just to buy the re-tube kit and plug them in. No, biasing required, is it true??

Please help

Cheers

Nothing needed if it's a Series 2, they have the bias select switch in the back.

Series 1 did not and would need modified to run EL's

clutch71 said:
Nothing needed if it's a Series 2, they have the bias select switch in the back.

Series 1 did not and would need modified to run EL's

Dave!! what up buddy!
it's alvin remember me?

how can u tell there's a bias switch at the back??
mine has got a selection of EL-34 / 6L6 is that it??

You will see a switch on the back that lets you choose el34 or 6l6

I have el34 in my single rec right now. it definately makes the amp brighter. to me it sounds more aggressive especially when you turn it up. The clean channel if you crank it can makes a pretty good hard rock sound with the el34. You cant turn the gain up as much on the red channel or it will sound ***, but the perceived amount of distortion from the el34 makes up for it.

I think if you can turn it up loud try the el34

Al, How are things down under! I'll be honest, I did forget your user name here as it's been a while since we talked. Haven't seen you on the Marshall forum in a while. Shoot me a PM and give me an update on things.

Like coppa said there should be a switch in the back. Another way to tell if it's a series 2 is if you have the Raw mode on the High Gain channel with Vintage and Modern.

If indeed you have a series 2 you would just need to get tubes rated for Mesa's fixed bias. Eurotubes or Doug tubes should be able to help you out.

BTW, I prefer EL's in Rectos, tightens up a little bit of the bottom end people complain about. Still going to be a recto though.

Back