Single Rectifier Advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliensExist

Reaction score
Hi, im thinking of buying a single rectifer and im wanting to know if someone could tell me if it could acheive the types of tones im looking for? The tones im am looking for are blink 182 tones through to pantera metallica type stuff and i was woundering if this amp could cover those bases. i have tried one out in a local music shop but didnt get to crank it up anywhere past 7 o'clock on the master dial so i couldnt really find the tones i was looking for.

any help very much appriciated :D

The tones im am looking for are blink 182 tones through to pantera metallica type stuff

Blink 182, no problem... I think they use rectifiers

Metallica, the newer stuff from the last 10 years would be no problem since they also used Rectifiers on some of their stuff.. But the older stuff (like the Black album back) you won't be able to get quite as "tight" of a chunking sound but it will be really close, the Mark series I hear are good for that.

Pantera, once again you won't be able to get quite as "tight" of a chunk but you will be able to get some pretty aggressive tones out of it.

The rectifier series (Singel, Dual, Triple, Tremoverb, Rectoverb, and Road King) all have basically the same sounds in them, but each have a few other bells and whistles over the next (with the single recto being on the bottom of the food chain there- but by no meas less of an amp, just less options) but some people like the Single recto better than all the rest and say it sounds more aggressive and has better cleans, but thats opinion. I really liked my Rectoverb (single with reverb) better than my Triple.

Just remember, tone is in the ear of the player and what I say from my expierence may be the exact opposite as the next post, but for the most part the Rectifier series of amps don't have a real tight low end but are still (I hate this term), Nu-Metal and pop metal masters! Creed, Incubus, Puddle of Mudd, Blink 182, Dream Theatre, Nickelback.. to name a few.

Several people around here have clips of one in action, you may want to check out some clips to make sure the rectifier is the amp for you and if it's not I'm sure someone can point you on to which amp to get those sounds. The Mark III and IV comes to mind as well as the new F-Series. The Rectifier was the amp for me, and I think you'll find some tones you like it.

Check out my short sound clips at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com and go to the "Road King Clips" page. The top one is all Rectifier in the Vintage mode.

hi, thanks for your reply tele_jas. yes blink 182 do use a triple rectifier and what i want to know is if that sound would be the same if not similair to dial in on a single rectifier?

btw your post was very informative thankyou :D

A single, dual and triple rectifier would all sound very similar if dialed in the same. The Dual and Triple have the extra option of having a tube rectifier that makes it a bit more spongy, but if your wanting Blink182 and the other hard stuff you mentioned then you won't be using the tube rectifier anyways. Plus over-all if you recorded them all to compare the different rectifier (tube vs solid state) and the difference in wattage (50 wt vs 150 wt) and then shuffeled them all up and randomly picked one, I bet it'd be super hard to tell which one you were listening back to.

After saying all of that, I actually liked the Rectoverb (single recto) better than my Triple recto when I compared it in the same cabinet, with the exception of one less channel, other than that it felt like it had more tone in it.

Thats my $.02 worth

I play metal, but I prefer tube rectification for my brutal rhytm sound... 8)

i think the single will be great for what your after. and if you want the tighter metallica and pantera sounds throw a tubescreamer or something to tighten it up.

Yeah, I also play Metal/Hardcore, and I prefer the Tube Rectifier...I had the Single Rec for about 6 months, and felt there was something missing....I had friends with Dual and Triples playing the same style, and I just couldnt get their tone on my amp. I just upgraded to the 2 channel Dual, and it sounds exactly how I had hoped. To get that brutal metal sound out of the Single, I had to use a BBE Sonic Maximizer in the effects loop. Now, I just have a gain boost, and I'm ready to go. The Tubescreamer or a straight up pickup booster. It really helps!

Thats my opinion....As other people have stated, tone is completely subjective. Hope this stuff helps. Also, if you end up getting the single, I can give you my settings for metal guitar....

You'll def want some sort of overdrive with it to get a really brutal chug. I used a TS9 tubescreamer for a few months and just got a Fulltone OCD and I'll never go back, but the TS9 did the job.

This is with a Dual Rec but I imagine it would have similar results.

If money is not an option or you can find a decent Dual, I'd go for the Dual recto. I guess I should have said that in my first reply. The TS will tighten it up some, but it just depends on your guitar and how much distortion you want, it's fine for some and some like a bit more.

the older 2ch dualrectos are bit tighter than the current offerings, but most mesa are just pretty open and loose sounding in general, so yeah, TS or EQ or something to tighten it up for Pantera and the like.

Also, in general 2ch models (like the current single recto) tend to have a bit more clarity to them than the 3ch models.

And you guys who like tube rectos for modern metal sounds are CRAZY :shock:

well from all these comments im guessing most of you are saying the triple and dual recto are more alike in sound than the single recto? i am still very confused as to which one would be the right one for me i guess i will just have to try them to get a feel for them. untill i find the right one but i am leaning more towards a dual or a single as they are probably the best for the money.

AliensExist said:
well from all these comments im guessing most of you are saying the triple and dual recto are more alike in sound than the single recto? i am still very confused as to which one would be the right one for me i guess i will just have to try them to get a feel for them. untill i find the right one but i am leaning more towards a dual or a single as they are probably the best for the money.

You should def. play them all but to me it felt like sound wise the single rec wasn't enough, the triple was too much and the dual rec was 'just right'

You may have a different opinion of them :)

Latest posts

Back