Single rec preamp tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelch

Reaction score
I was going to attempt to retube my mesa single rec. I play mostly hardcore/metal and was wondering what preamp tube/power tube combo would be recommended. I found this page

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=6&sub_category_id=30

and would like to get one of these combos. I am looking for alot of gain and and overall tightness. Thanks guys. :D

Recto's already have tons of gain, I run my Single at around 11:30 for gain. I say go with the standard set, and 6L6 power tubes for sure.

Oh yea...stupid me :roll: I forgot to ask how difficult would it be to retube a mesa head by myself??

I too have a Single Rec and I too play metal. So here are my suggestions:
It is very easy to re-tube, just pull them out and plonk the new ones in. The pre-amp ones can be a little tricky to get the pins lined up. If it's hard then take the wooden case off to get at them properly.
As for tubes, I personally wouldn't use any new tubes. They have a little more gain but are very noisy and go bad after a few years. If you can afford them go for old Mullard or Brimar tubes from back in the sixties and seventies. They sound far sweeter, are lower noise, and have a much smoother gain that gives a much nicer crunch tone than new tubes. They are a bit expensive though, so if you have to get new tubes I'd recommend Eurotubes, I've heard good things about them.
I would also recommend changing the power tubes to EL34s, especially if you're using a recto cab. I found with 6L6s the bass was too flabby, but EL34s really tightened it up. You also shouldn't put your gain up past about two O'Clock on channel two. If you do you'll never get tight bass and I find the treble to be too harsh. Keep the gain down a bit and you'll have much more room to play around with getting the tone you want.

Hope some of that helps :) .

Springing for expensive NOS tubes such as Mullard seems to me to be an awful waste if you're playing hardcore/metal. NOS tubes (good luck trying to find true examples) essentially give you a retro/vintage sound. You're probably looking for sharpness, tightness and intensity.

The combination that seems to give that is Tung Sol preamp tubes with Svetlana "C" Wing power tubes for both EL34 and 6L6 variants.

However, if you change power amp tubes you should plan on getting a mod to make the bias adjustable.

Mesa 6l6's and Mesa preamp tubes. I read alll the time how the biasing on Rectifiers are too cold and the what not. I bought the Eurotubes " hi gain" retube kit . I really did not feel an enormous difference.

Mullards in a single rec for metal........I would not do that. As stated, Mullards will give you vintage sounds at a great cost if you can even find them.

I would ( and do) retube with Mesa tubes. Maybe an overdrive pedal would help tighten up your sound.

Latest posts

Back