Single Rec help ..Question about cabs and ohms

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnstudios

Reaction score
Just a quick question.. I have a Single Rec and 2 cabs one is a 4 ohm cab and one is an 8ohm cab.. Can I run them both together? The back of the amp has 2x 4 ohm jacks and 1 8ohm jack... Can I run the 4ohm cab on the 4ohm jack and the 8ohm cab on the 8ohm jack?

Figured I would ask here first before actually trying it.. Thanks in advance

I would say that is not a safe mismatch. It is not listed in the manual.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/sRec_Sers2.pdf

Most cabs today are 8 or 16 ohm. Out of curiosity...what cab are you trying to run that's 4 ohms?

Its a 2 10 cab with 2 eminence legends in it. Each speaker is 8 ohms wired parallel which gives it a 4 ohm load...

I see it says when using 2 8ohm speakers to connect each of them to the 4 ohm jack

That's correct. The two 4 ohm ouput jacks are wired in parallel internally. Connecting two 8 ohm cabs using the two 4 ohm jacks will give you a total load of 4 ohms.

If you rewire the two 10" speakers to series, you'd have a 16 ohm load and you could run the 16 ohm into the amp's 8 ohm out and the other 8 ohm cab into one of the amp's 4 ohm outs. That would be a safe mismatch.

You could also connect your two cabs together in series to get a rather oddball 12 Ohm load, but that would also be a safe mismatch into the amp's 8 ohm output. Matching loads is always best, but using a higher mismatch (i.e. 8 ohm output driving a 16 ohm cab) is safer than a lower mismatch.

What kind of 8 ohm cab do you have? You could possibly rewire it for more options as well.

The 8 ohm cab is a cheapy Marshall that I borrowed from my drummer. So I really dont want to open that up and re-wire it for him lol.

Guess I will wire the 2 10's for a 16ohm load and use the 8ohm out put for that.. and run the 8 ohm cab on the 4ohm jack.

Latest posts

Back