SimulClass with all 6L6's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
908ssp said:
MesieBooga said:
..... Each cab is 4 ohms out into the 8 ohm input.

You made a mistake writing this? :?: You meant both cabs are 8 ohms using the amps 4 ohm output right? :?: Two 4 ohm cabs run in parallel is a 2 ohm load. You could possibly be running the two 4 ohm cab in series for an 8 ohm load but I have never seen a cab wired that way. :roll:

I hope it is a misprint as well. A 2 Ohm load on that amp would fry the OT pretty soon.

MesieBooga said:
That looks pretty similar to how I set mine up.

On my newest IIC+ Simul head I found I have to Pull the Vol 1. But otherwise the settings are real similar to below. I've found that the lower I run the Treb the better lead tone I get; as it goes higher it gets into Metallica crunch.

Maybe that's my answer! Just adjust the treble up a notch live! :wink:

Setting IIC+ settings Simul Combo * = Pull

Vol 1- 8
Treb- 6.8*
Bass - 3
Mid -3
Mas 1-2*
Ld Drv- 8 *
Ld Mastr - 3*
Presence - 0

I run the "combo" into a Mesa Standard 4x12 with V30's and a Diezel 4x12 with V30's and Diezel/Eminence speakers in an "X" pattern. Each cab is 4 ohms out into the 8 ohm input. I use mainly Historic Les Pauls with 57 Classic pick-ups.
My New IIC+ head I got last week (#1330x) sounds best into just the Mesa 4x12 at 8 ohms. It's also not a hot sounding as the combo.

Your amp has the .001 bright mod to the lead channel. You can run your treble higher. The .001 is to reduce the brightness and allow you to open up the treble more. I personally do not like this mod. I like the high end cut and run the 80hz higher to compensate. I get a fat, yet crushing tone with the ability to go from heinous chording to lead without touching my settings. I also run my Mid between 5 and 6. It has a nominal role in the tone stack, but I run it to send more signal to the next preamp stage.
If you ever noticed, when you put all of your tone controls to 0 there is no signal. I think the Mid settings i use add punch, and then I dip them out to taste on the graphic. Minute changes on the graphic can make huge changes in tone. IMHO it is very touchy.

Give it time. You will find your sweet spot.

908ssp said:
MesieBooga said:
..... Each cab is 4 ohms out into the 8 ohm input.

You made a mistake writing this? :?: You meant both cabs are 8 ohms using the amps 4 ohm output right? :?: Two 4 ohm cabs run in parallel is a 2 ohm load. You could possibly be running the two 4 ohm cab in series for an 8 ohm load but I have never seen a cab wired that way. :roll:

Right... I have two cabs that are 8 ohms mono. I am using the 4 ohm outs of the Mesa into each cab. RIGHT!? :shock: I hope that's right!

MesieBooga said:
I have two cabs that are 8 ohms mono. I am using the 4 ohm outs of the Mesa into each cab. RIGHT!? :shock: I hope that's right!
That is correct.

Boogiebabies said:
MesieBooga said:
Boogiebabies said:
4 matched STR-415's = 22ma in the 6L6 sockets and 55ma in the Outer Simul sockets. Tons of bottom and and a very nice highs, but way fatter high end with more gain perception. It chunks and shreds very nicely. With lower gain, or even the Volume knob down on a 58 Burst RI, it is seriously fat.

Do you like running the 4 6L6's better than combining the 34's or the GT 6CA7GE?

I dont know yet. I need more time. I do think I will use the 7581A's though,

This is an old thread, but new to me. I installed a n NOS pair of RCA 7581A's in my "new" MKIIC+ today and REALLY liked the tone.
These are severe duty (mil-spec) versions of the 6L6GC and should be fine (long lived) in the outer sockets on this amp. My concern is for the amp. After being lucky enough to get one, I **** sure don't want to do anything to hurt it.
What say you learned folks? Any reason to be concerned?
Thanks in advance, Jim

This is an old thread, but new to me. I installed a n NOS pair of RCA 7581A's in my "new" MKIIC+ today and REALLY liked the tone.
These are severe duty (mil-spec) versions of the 6L6GC and should be fine (long lived) in the outer sockets on this amp. My concern is for the amp. After being lucky enough to get one, I **** sure don't want to do anything to hurt it.
What say you learned folks? Any reason to be concerned?
Thanks in advance, Jim

No concerns. The 7581A is a 35W tube and can take severe punishment.

Back