Simul envy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
When I bought my Mk IIC (not '+' but soon to be sent to Mike B for mod) in 1984 I was in an original band with a Police-esque band (but with funk not reggae as the underlying beat). When I talked to the sales person they suggested the 60/100 would be fine. Since then I've had buyer's remorse that I didn't get the Simulclass. At one time you could do the upgrade but now because the output transformers are no longer available the only way to do this will not make it as if a 1984 Mk IIC+ Simul. I noticed later that they basically started making everything Simul and had further regret. (yeah, I'm prone to regret but that's a seperate issue).

-What are the key tonal differences between 60/100 and Simul?
-Has anybody A/B'd them?
-Would I be adding enough to be my arsenal by adding a Simul amp that adding a Mk IV to the collection would be worthwhile?

I have A/B'd them side by side. The Simul is smoother. The non-Simul sounded more "pure" as in less blurred. The non-Simul had a bigger bottom.

That is it.

IMO the simulclass hoopla is WAY overstated. I am sure there will be viewpoints to the contrary.

I can't speak from personal experience, but in theory, adding a Mark IV would really benefit your sound palette.

Besides, it'd be good to have the variety since the IIC+ has shared EQ. That's what I'm going to do... A/B them. Mark IIC+ for leads and Mark IV for pretty much everything else.
... at least until I can afford a 4-amp rig. Then I'll go Mark IIC+ for leads, either Marshall JCM800 or a 1992 dual rectifier for rhythm, Fender ...either Twin Reverb or Tone Master head for crunch, and Roland JC-120 for cleans.

once you hear the cleans on a Mark2C+, you will utterly forget that Fender and Roland even exist as companies. I used to think the same thing. My friends fender twin is very very nice, but the C+ steps up to the plate like you wouldn't believe.

When I talked to Mike B about modding my IIC I asked about the Simul class and he said it wasn't that big of a deal. He said if I wanted to get an idea what the difference would be, (I don't remember the exact details here) to plug the Effects send or the Slave out (I don't remember which) , into the FX return of my blue stripe Mk III, and it would be similar. Of course you'd have to have the IIC plugged into a cab or load box with the Master turned down, and the MKIII plugged into another cab, but it would be close enough to get an idea.

Anyway, I think you're really stressing out over a very minute detail here, enjoy your amp, it's an incredible tool as it is. 8) 8)

Don't worry about the simulclass. The 60/100 has its own benefits by being more powerful. Certain flavors of music will benefit from a more dynamic guitar section. The "+" mod would be mandatory if it were my amp. :D As far as the Mk IV goes, it will not have the headroom of your 60/100. And yes, I have played both the versions of the MkIV as well as a 60/100 C+. Even with the presence knobs pushed in on the MKIV, there is a difference.

Stu Gutz said:
I have A/B'd them side by side. The Simul is smoother. The non-Simul sounded more "pure" as in less blurred. The non-Simul had a bigger bottom.

That is it.

IMO the simulclass hoopla is WAY overstated. I am sure there will be viewpoints to the contrary.

-OP, I answered in your other topic as well but I totally concur with Stu Gutz. I like the 100 watt option, I always run mine full power. I even run my Coliseum on full power, all 180 watts worth. Both models get great low volume tones, too. + yours and play!

Mike Bendinelli told me that, if you want to have a Simul-Class flavor on a 60/100 watter, you just need to run your amp on 100 watt and plug the combo speaker on the 4 ohm jack.

igfraso said:
Mike Bendinelli told me that, if you want to have a Simul-Class flavor on a 60/100 watter, you just need to run your amp on 100 watt and plug the combo speaker on the 4 ohm jack.

you know i was actually thinking of recommeding this but didn't know if it was safe to do. You would plug the 8ohm speaker into the 4ohm jack on the amp? I have a simul, but it's cool to know.

That's exactly what Mike told me. You run your 60/100 watter in 100 watt and plug in your combo speaker (8 ohm) into one of the 4 ohm jacks. Mike says it is not the same as a Simul-Class but it is quite similar.

Elpelotero said:
once you hear the cleans on a Mark2C+, you will utterly forget that Fender and Roland even exist as companies. I used to think the same thing. My friends fender twin is very very nice, but the C+ steps up to the plate like you wouldn't believe.

Hehe, you're always so reassuring :D
But yeah, that's why I'll try to get the 2C+ first! =)

Latest posts

Back