Simul-class

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
Finally flicked the switch last night after exploring all the possibilities with the Class A mode of my Mark IV.. I thought this thing sounded amazing with 26L6's but the warmth/punch/tone/harmonics just got even better with all 4. I realize this is probably the 'duh' post of the century but holy cow does this thing SMOKE, even at low volumes.

8)

Platypus said:
billyg121 said:
do you achieve more gain with class a?

I would say it's more shreddy in class A but it sounds much fuller/punchier with simul on.

Plat:

Ref. your other post...are you going to try running 2 EL34's and 2 6L6's? This may tame your idea of slaving into your Stiletto. Just an idea. I cant wait till my MKIV gets here in a few days.

Finnster said:
Platypus said:
billyg121 said:
do you achieve more gain with class a?

I would say it's more shreddy in class A but it sounds much fuller/punchier with simul on.

Plat:

Ref. your other post...are you going to try running 2 EL34's and 2 6L6's? This may tame your idea of slaving into your Stiletto. Just an idea. I cant wait till my MKIV gets here in a few days.

That's a good point too, I could just do that.... hmmm decisions :)

rabies said:
Platypus said:
Finally flicked the switch last night after exploring all the possibilities with the Class A mode of my Mark IV.. I thought this thing sounded amazing with 26L6's but the warmth/punch/tone/harmonics just got even better with all 4. I realize this is probably the 'duh' post of the century but holy cow does this thing SMOKE, even at low volumes.

8)

You JUST flicked the switch on that thing? JUST? Wow. You've had it for at least a month now. I remember that amp from OC. wow.

classA=good blues
simul=good demolish

yeah I know.. but I like to explore slowly so I can take it all in :p

Like I said to know this amp takes a while and it is a big learning curve with this amp. It is so versatile it takes forever to use everything much less spin dials inbetween switch settings. Then once you add speaker combinations or even change your guitar you throw a wrench into the mix.

Take your time D.

I'm REALLY liking Triode/Simul/Midgain/Tweed right now, it sounds great with all my axes and absolutely kills at low volumes. My next switch is to go to pentode :)

It's funny, I find them to be very similar despite having totally different tonal palletes. The Ace definitely has the same 'feel' when you play it as the Mark does. I think it's a fantastic amp if you want an encyclopedia of British tones and it has an extremely usable clean channel, esp having a tube rectifier.

That being said, after having reverb on the Mark I sort of want it on the Ace now which is a step back from what I've said in the past. I proved myself wrong :p

It's a great 'set it and forget it' amp very much unlike the Mark... you really can't find a bad tone in it.

Not to discriminate against single coils but the Ace absolutely LOVES a mahogany guitar with hums.. use a nice slab of wood with it and you'll have tone for days.

let me know what you think of it

Platypus said:
I'm REALLY liking Triode/Simul/Midgain/Tweed right now, it sounds great with all my axes and absolutely kills at low volumes. My next switch is to go to pentode :)

That's what i've been running again lately. It really, really sings. Plus, like you say, it sounds fantastic at lower volumes too. Then again, the amp does in general.

i've been finding tweed power to be just too brown lately, especially when recording... it sounds fizzy and weak :(

i've been running in pentode/full power and switching the other controls back and forth

rabies said:
Platypus said:
Not to discriminate against single coils but the Ace absolutely LOVES a mahogany guitar with hums.. use a nice slab of wood with it and you'll have tone for days.

let me know what you think of it

oh cool, i like les pauls a lot and have one.

IMO the Ace was designed for a Les Paul so you'll be very happy I'm sure.

Hey Platypus you should try to go to Pentode. I feel it gives a lot more punch to the tone and has a more full sound to it especially with full power on. My only complaint with the Pentode is that the tubes die faster than Triode.

Back