Simul Class Mark III can run 6l6 in outer sockets?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark3Boogie

Reaction score
Hi, i would try to put 6l6 in the outer socket of my Simul Mark III instead of the el34, it can run they or some mods/fix are needed?
I've yet readed that is possible, but i would be safe.

I have a Mesa approved tech giving my Mark IIB a checkup, new filter caps, and swapping the two outer EL34's (Simul-Class model) with 6L6's.

I called Mesa and they said no problem swapping the EL34's for 6L6's.

I hope to have the amp back within a week or so.

I would like to know this as gospel. But this is out of the Mark III owners manual:

NOTE: In the past, MESA/Boogie advertised the "interchangeable power tubes" feature of the Mark III Simul-Class. We told players
that they could use either EL-34's or 6L6's in the outer (Class A) power sockets. However, in recent years we've observed a much
greater reliability factor with the use of EL-34's in these outer sockets, with much fewer incidents of tube failure. Therefore, today we
strongly recommend using EL-34's in the outer sockets and 6L6's in the inner sockets of your Simul-Class Boogie.

revgsmall said:
I would like to know this as gospel. But this is out of the Mark III owners manual:

NOTE: In the past, MESA/Boogie advertised the "interchangeable power tubes" feature of the Mark III Simul-Class. We told players
that they could use either EL-34's or 6L6's in the outer (Class A) power sockets. However, in recent years we've observed a much
greater reliability factor with the use of EL-34's in these outer sockets, with much fewer incidents of tube failure. Therefore, today we
strongly recommend using EL-34's in the outer sockets and 6L6's in the inner sockets of your Simul-Class Boogie.

Yup, that's an OLD manual from the mid-90's. Wa-a-a-ay back when, the quality of 6L6's was questionable. This was right after the collapse of the USSR and before everybody in the former Eastern bloc figured out they could make a mint firing up the old Russian tube factories. Decent tubes were actually scarce for a while.

I own an '89 Blue Stripe. It's a one owner (me), and I bought it new. Never had a problem switching the outer socket tubes. But it does sound better with the EL-34's.

Interesting about the 6L6's. My fave amp is a 100 watt Mark IIc+. I just obtained a Mark III with Simulclass. I was wondering if running four 6L6's would get it to sound closer to the Mark IIc+.

I had Mike do the III+ mod to it, but I'm waiting on a new on/off switch to arrive so I have not heard the results as of yet.

When you say that your III sounds "better" with EL34's, what is the sonic difference that you are hearing?

revgsmall said:
.......When you say that your III sounds "better" with EL34's, what is the sonic difference that you are hearing?

(???)
My two reds are equipped differtly with tubes:
The first in the classical way, all MESA preamp tubes and power tubes, EL 34 in the outer sockets.
The second I bought about three years ago used came along with all 6L6 AEG and I put some TAD preamps into after receiving.
The one with the EL 34 sounds tighter and a bit thinner but nasty, the other one thick, more voluminous and more bottom.
But I cannot tell for sure if all this comes only from the power ones. It`s very likely that both amps are kinda different also...

New update: here is a caveat to running all 6L6's from Mike B:

If you have them, just remember they should be a cooler set only, if 6L6s for the class a sockets. From us RED or YEL.

Back