Silent LSS- Did I buy a POS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick

Reaction score
Hey folks, this is my 1st post, sorry it's a bummer.
12 days ago I bought a new LSS 1X12 and ordered a 1X12 cab. Played thru it for an hour or so prior to purchase and loved it. Got it home and got to play thru it a couple days later for another hour. That was it untill I plugged it in today. I have lights, fan, tubes lit with power on, partially when on standby, but no sound other than a miniscule "umph" when I switch from standby to on.

Since I'm not the most techno advanced person I know, I figured it was something I was or wasn't doing so I completely unplugged everything and started over with the manual open. NO HELP.

I tried both channels at all power levels with and without the footswitch. Tried the speaker in all inputs. Tried different speaker. Tried several cords. No noise what so ever when I give the tubes a light fingernail tap.

Any advice other than calling Mesa Monday morning? Pleas help!!

Mick, Sorry to hear about your LSS taking a dump. This forum should help you. I bought an LSS 1x12 from from Guitar Center and it died two weeks after I got it home. I took it back they gave me a new one in a box . Double check the simple things, speaker leads connected to speaker, send level, guitar cable. Plug in spare speaker. If nothing contact the store. it isn't a cheap amp. Next would be a call to Mesa. GC didn't ask any questions with my LSS going bad.

Check this forum for other threads on the LSS. There have been some problems. I swapped my LSS for a 2x12 LSC and I like the LSC 6L6 tone more.

Mick said:
Hey folks, this is my 1st post, sorry it's a bummer.
12 days ago I bought a new LSS 1X12 and ordered a 1X12 cab. Played thru it for an hour or so prior to purchase and loved it. Got it home and got to play thru it a couple days later for another hour. That was it untill I plugged it in today. I have lights, fan, tubes lit with power on, partially when on standby, but no sound other than a miniscule "umph" when I switch from standby to on.

My Rectoverb took a similar dump a week or two after I got it home. In my case it was just the lead channel that cut out while I was playing n'er to return. I went and bought a new Mesa preamp tube and started swapping until it worked again. There ony $15 or so. Definately a bummer though...

Sounds like a preamp tube possibly? If it's new just call Mesa, they'll most likely send you a new set for free.

If you bought it new, the guys at Mesa can walk you through some trouble shooting while you are on line. They've been through this before.

I had an initial problem on my LSC - seems there are a lot of tube failures in the first few months on Mesa amps - but once I got that all settled the amp just keep getting better. Hang in there.

Thanks for the pre amp tube tip guys. I took the metal covers off and one of the tubes was milky white on the bottom and the glass actually broke around the pins when I was removing it. Looks like the problem or at least part of it.

Now I have another question. I have a Peavy Classic 30 that has 12AX7's in it. Will it damage the Boogie if I try one of the Peavy tubes to see if it'll work, or do these have to be "matched"? I can wait but this is the first day I've had to myself in 2 weeks and I'd really like to plug in my ASAT and go away for awhile. Many thanks again fredster and Platypus.

It shouldn't hurt anything to put a 12ax7 out of your Peavey in the Lonestar. But when you go to get a new tube, I'd put the new tube in the Lonestar and give the poor ole' peavey back her tube.

All is well again, my tonebone is tickled. Got a new pre amp tube and I'm back in the land of sweetness and grit. To answer my own question...Nah, I didn't buy a POS. Thanks again for the tips guys!

The UPS man just delivered a set of Tom Short's "Vintage Country Coils" Tele pickups and I can't wait to hear them in my ASAT and LSS. Life is good.

Mick said:
All is well again, my tonebone is tickled. Got a new pre amp tube and I'm back in the land of sweetness and grit. To answer my own question...Nah, I didn't buy a POS. Thanks again for the tips guys!

Good to hear! Now go play. And play. And play. :)

Latest posts

Back