Sick of the proverbial crap?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbypols

Reaction score
I was reading another mesa boogie ad...and you know what...im sooo sick of the proverbal crap thats so content free it makes me sick. I know im gonna get slagged for this cuz its a boogie site...but to be honest, there marketing campign is so full of crap that it makes you feel mind molested. "Lush harmonic haze"???? "Crystallin focus"??? There so more apt to make you visualize sounds forgetting thats its suppose to be an audio experience. I know they its "marketing" but its also lies.... I mean...what is "seductive feel"??? I didnt go to bed with myamp...im just playing through it...i also perfer to feel my guitar... Anyother adjective that i love is from amp manifactors, not just mesa is "sparkling" cleans...i mean a sparkle is a visual experience...lol.

If you guys can site some descrptive crap that buggs the hell out of you, that would be cool....

Actually when companys add all these visual words....to me its like asking a girl about how good looking her friend is, then she responds saying that shes really nice....LOOK OUT!!! :shock:

I agree with you and coparitively A lot of the boutique amp companies have sound clips ( while not a great representitive gives you a general idea of what the amps potential is ) So in agreeance with you're visual description complaint I think it would help potential buyers more if mesa had a half page ad showing the product and then a direction to the website where you can listen to sound samples to see if thats the amp.
There's nothing I hate more than going to a music store trying out an amp while being pestered to buy it and thening seeing the sales clerks snarl when you tell him the amps not for you.

I know what youre talking about, its pretty sad when reading the specs of something tells you more about it than what the manufacturer is talking about.

On a slightly different note, anybody seen the "Only a Gibson is good enough" TV ad?

no soul said:
On a slightly different note, anybody seen the "Only a Gibson is good enough" TV ad?

Haha...i have...there not only good enough for me...i also like fenders and G and L's!

They are all guilty of it...and I pretty much ignore it all. The only way I can decide if it's the right amp for me is to play it with MY guitar, and with MY amp right next to it to do a solid comparison. Some amps sound great by themselves, but when you put it next to yours, it doesn't sound that much better in the end! I've marked a lot of amps off my list of potentials this way.

just ignore those words. Judge only by your own experience. Commercials in general makes me sick too.

By the way using words that are visual for describing audial has a name in literature....but I don't know the english term :(

I think they're all just running out of ideas LOL. It's like this with all kinds of stuff now, not just gear ads. It all sickins ME LOL.

While they all are guilty of it, MESA does take the cake. They are way above other compainies...they must pay a fortune for marketing...

This is nothing new, the whole marketing strategy that's being discussed. Mesa/Boogie is an American company and as long as it remains one, it will use the typical American way of adverstising, because we are accustomed to it. Anyone seen commericals in Europe? Nothing like the commercials in the U.S. But, fact of the matter is, no matter how much it annoys some of us, those ads do their job by getting people into a store and playing the amp. As long as a potential customer remembers a product name or ad, the marketing ploy has succeeded in its goal.

The gear reviews in GP magazines are notorious for these "descriptions". Though I don't let it bother me, it's rather entertaining!

exposeenmity said:
This is nothing new, the whole marketing strategy that's being discussed. Mesa/Boogie is an American company and as long as it remains one, it will use the typical American way of adverstising, because we are accustomed to it. Anyone seen commericals in Europe? Nothing like the commercials in the U.S. But, fact of the matter is, no matter how much it annoys some of us, those ads do their job by getting people into a store and playing the amp. As long as a potential customer remembers a product name or ad, the marketing ploy has succeeded in its goal.
+1
Sick of the proverbial crap? Nope, no different that many other amp manufactures. Can anyone tell me what a pleasing advertisement?

Bobbypols said:
I was reading another mesa boogie ad...and you know what...im sooo sick of the proverbal crap thats so content free it makes me sick. I know im gonna get slagged for this cuz its a boogie site...but to be honest, there marketing campign is so full of crap that it makes you feel mind molested. "Lush harmonic haze"???? "Crystallin focus"??? There so more apt to make you visualize sounds forgetting thats its suppose to be an audio experience. I know they its "marketing" but its also lies.... I mean...what is "seductive feel"??? I didnt go to bed with myamp...im just playing through it...i also perfer to feel my guitar... Anyother adjective that i love is from amp manifactors, not just mesa is "sparkling" cleans...i mean a sparkle is a visual experience...lol.
Wow take a chill pill. It's only an ad, if you don't like the TV channel what do you do, change it. If you don't like the magazine ad's, turn the page. Simple solution to a minor (very minor) problem. Aside from that how would you go about describing a particuler sound to people who can only read about it?

Now if only some of my problems were this miniscule I'd be a very happy man. :roll:

[/quote] Wow take a chill pill. [/quote]

thanks dr. phil, problem solved 8)

just making conversation...my life is not ruined and i do have other problems :lol:

t0aj15 said:
how would you go about describing a particuler sound to people who can only read about it?

Yeah, you have to be creative with words when you're trying to describe a sound in a print add. In Mesa's defense, they are WAY better about giving usefull details in their owner's manuals than most companies. They also have a sheet of sample settings displayed when you go to play an amp at the store. Those are things that I find helpful.

I tend to stay away from the online sound clips. There are too many variables involved to get an accurate gauge on how it really sounds.

I remenmber nearly falling out of my chair laughing when I first read the propoganda for the Nomads - visions of the nomadic people of the world living in their tents and such(which relates to guitar amplifiers how???) At least it was entertaining and had some imagination! Some of these descriptive terms are actually useful now that they have become a standard point of reference; "sparkling" clean is code for Fender-like clean tones, where a "british" tone will usually describe something with a Marshall-like grind - much different than a Recto tone or a Tweed Fender overdrive. All of this can be helpful and get you in the ballpark, but should never be a substitute for actually getting to plug in and see for yourself.

While your right about words being synomius, it also leads a lot to being open to interpretation...as in..this sounds like fender to me...that sounds like marshall to me... but it might not sound like it to anyone else.

seductive feel"??? I didnt go to bed with myamp

I dont know about you guys but I do :lol:

Just kidding, but I agree totally, but everyone does it.

Latest posts

Back