shure57 vs E609 mic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maldeve

Reaction score
Is there any diffrence in these mics when recording with a mark4 through a mesa 4x12 cab? Going down to GC to pick one up.

The e609 is 110

The shure57 is 100

Anything I should know between the two that might make one better for micing my cab?

Thx in adv. ( I'll be checking this on the way up on my BB)

Any difference? yes all mics are different.

I am not familiar with the e609, but the e906 sounds great by itself, but I like to use both the 906 and the SM57, just like the classic mic setup MD421/SM57.
but I think I would go for the sennheiser if I only had to buy one, and then get a SM57 used and cheap, they survive a nuke so it will be a safe buy.

Tony

I didn't think the 609 was more than the 57...I thought they were the same price.

I have both but I've only really messed around with the 609 so far. I like it. People say they complement each other well.

I have them both, they compliment each other decently. The e609 is brighter and definitely picks up more of the "top end". The SM57 I find to be quite dark and responds very well (sometimes TOO well) to bass heavy stuff. Mixing them together is tricky, you have to find a fine balance, but it can certainly be done. If you want one, go for the e609. It's sole intentional purpose, from what I understand, is for micing guitar cabs. It sounds great alone, especially for that price.

Also, to echo tony777:

All mics are very different, don't ever get fooled into thinking that similarly priced mics sound the same. All mics are voiced differently and are intended for different instruments and applications. Indeed, even two of the exact same model will have subtle differences. As a general rule, dynamics are good for very loud stuff, but they don't have the clarity and "air" that condensers can capture. By the same logic, extremely loud sounds can outright destroy a condenser. A good rule that I was told regarding condensers is this: Put your ear where you plan on placing the mic. If it's too loud for you, it's too loud for the mic. Most condensers come with a pad option which will dumb down the signal by a predetermined amount to prevent overdriving the mic. However, if the source is too loud, the simple fact of high SPL will just rip the membrane and your mic is useless. So use caution and protect your investment, eh?

I like 'em both. I find myself using the 609 as I am often forced to record at lower volumes for guitar tracks and it lets in less bleed from guitar picking noise in the room. When playing with the band, I find less bleed on guitar tracks from bass and drums as well.

57's are industry standard so you can't go wrong there either.

Links to samples: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=763302&content=music

Over The Edge and Dark Wild were recorded with 609. Fall was recorded with 57 along with cardoid mic for room sound...

you can always go Guitar Center route... buy em both and exercise the 30 return policy with the one you don't like.

makes sense... I stand corrected!

In that case, I would recommend the 609 knowing you wont go wrong with either at that price point.

Thx for the advice guys I held off on making a purchase yet, but i think im going to go with the E609.

KK those tracks are amazing, such a nice mix! Thx alot for posting them.

Thanks Man. Soon as we get a singer in place, we will really be dangerous!

I have a 906 as well. That mic was designed to mic cabs right off the grill for live use. The Hypercard pattern on it is great for eliminating bleed. They are rolled off on the low end to attenuate proximity effect to. I love it for live use, crisp and cutting while not muddy. In the studio I find it needs to have something with it smoothing out and handling the lows better. That's just to get my kind of guitar sound though. It has a spike (which is adjustable on the 906) at 4K to really give your guitar chop. I think the 906 has a greater frequency response range then the 609 as well.

Bourque said:
I have a 906 as well... In the studio I find it needs to have something with it smoothing out and handling the lows better. That's just to get my kind of guitar sound though...
I find the same thing and use an Audix i5 for that second, smoother, more bass-responsive mic.

The e906 + e914 is great combo for doing this. Also adding in a bit of direct speaker out through a Palmer PDI-09 (or similar cab sim) can help with a bit more in-your-face punch.

I could be wrong, but I think the e906 in the middle position attempts to copy an MD412. Which from what I recall reading is a vintage rock mic. From what I understand, a better SM57. I could be wrong. Haven't had time to record or A/B mine yet.

I personally like the beta 57. I have a groove tube gt55 condensor for studio to mix in there too.

Latest posts

Back