Should I laugh or cry?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the end I sold the guitar, and got an older Gibson SG....which had a broken headstock also, but the repair seems solid enough.

Just got to get strap locks for all of my guitars now!

When I brought my Gibson Les Paul Jr. into guitar center to have new tuning pegs put on, he noticed the dings on my head stock and warned that due to the angle that the headstock and the neck are connected they are easy to break off. He also said that its $250 to repair and its not covered by warrenty. I also had an Ibanez that the headstock broke completly off and i dont even know how it happend. One day i went to play and i picked it up and the head fell right off. Not to mention all the trouble the tuning lock gave me. Its safe to say I will never buy another Ibanez again. :) Fender deffinatly makes the strongest necks by far. I have dropped my strat more times then i can remember and its still playing strong.

Sorry to hear/see that, bud. Hope you can get it repaired.

Apparently, Gary Rossington had the same misfortune with his LP and did his own repair (wood screws and glue). When Gibson issued his signature LP they included a facsimile of a crack with wood screw at the back of the headstock.

My mistake again. The two screws are on the front of the headstock on either side of the trussrod cover.

Check the link.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM02/Content/Gibson/PR/LE-Gary-Rossington-LP.html

James, Just looking at old posts and saw yours of your broken headstock. Same thing happend to me back in 73. During a song, strap broke, and LP Goldtop hits end of stage and headstock cracks. Nite finished! Had local luthier glue, sand and refinish and played it for 30 years until this year when it developed another small crack beside the original fix. I took the strings off and put it in the case, and am waiting to repair it a a later date. I've heard that the fix actually makes the guitar stronger, but I don't know for sure since mine is cracked again, although I got 30 years out of the first fix.

Let me know how its gone.
Wisch
Cle, Oh.

Back