SH-4 + mark 3?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMofo

Reaction score
i am considering gettin' a seymour duncan sh-4 to put in the bridge position in my jackson sls.

anybody have much experience with these pickups or who could point me in a great direction to achieve smooth articulate metal tone.

MetalMofo said:
i am considering gettin' a seymour duncan sh-4 to put in the bridge position in my jackson sls.

anybody have much experience with these pickups or who could point me in a great direction to achieve smooth articulate metal tone.

I appreciate your desire to get your "exact tone" you want to hear ... unfortunately, the adjectives you use - smooth articulate metal - mean different things. please elaborate with the name of a band and song you are trying to emulate.

thanks. i know your Mk III will metal the **** out of anything else out there - mine will. give us a chance with more description.

I'm a big fan of the Duncan JB. It's a great pickup. It's certainly hot enough to drive an preamp for Metal and good harmonics. Also great for other stuff if you roll back the volume a bit.

One more thought... Before you jump to buy the SH-4 check the string spacing measurements of your current pickup. Most likely you need a TB-4 for a bridge position. It's the same JB pickup with slightly wider string spacing. (Don't find out the hard way like I did :) )

I have some on a Epi SG and a Brian Moore i8.13. I love them, but i don't play Metal. They are brighter than my Dimarzio PAF's, SD59's and old Gibson PAF's. And they have more POP!! Not over the top, but you hear and feel the difference. I always turn down the treble a notch whenever I use those guitars. They clean up well when rolling back the volume too. I think I like them more than any other pickups out there for what I play (Rock, Blues).
That's my 2 cents!

got one in the bridge of a custom that I built http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36222, I don't play metal, but I get close to that territory. coupled with an ultra deep set neck (approx 56 square inches of neck body contact) it sustains infinitely, and tapping is effortless. like others have said it will go from blues burn all the way to face melting metal without a problem. I really like it and hope it works out for you. :D

Back