Seymour Duncan Blackouts anyone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had them in my ESP Eclipse for about a week. Yes they are more organic sounding then the EMGs. Still sound like active pickups, cleans are better then EMGs. I still pulled them out and put some passive pickups in since i dont really like actives or EMGs very much.

ryjan said:
Use the search. There are quite a few threads on this topic.
yup, but this isn`t SS.org so don`t post just to not answer. anywho they are nice, i see them as a beginners active, a nice middle ground into EMG`s. flame me all you want but EMG`s are what they are. you like them or you don`t. blackouts cover that middleground between actives and passives. like EVERTHING else YOU have to try them

lailer75 said:
ryjan said:
yup, but this isn`t SS.org so don`t post just to not answer. anywho they are nice, i see them as a beginners active, a nice middle ground into EMG`s. flame me all you want but EMG`s are what they are. you like them or you don`t. blackouts cover that middleground between actives and passives. like EVERTHING else YOU have to try them

A beginners active? In what way?

reilly said:
I had them in my ESP Eclipse for about a week. Yes they are more organic sounding then the EMGs. Still sound like active pickups, cleans are better then EMGs. I still pulled them out and put some passive pickups in since i dont really like actives or EMGs very much.

I like the active sound but I found EMG's far too "tinny" and thin with too much bite. All n all just harsh sounding and unbalanced. I've heard the Blackouts are good because like the other person who answered the thread said, they cover a "middle ground" between actives and passives. I want the aggression and wide scope of an active but not the the harsh attack of one. Anyways, I've bought them today, got 'em installed but haven't had a chance to play yet, I put them in my Les Paul. (Obviously I kept those original P.A.F's if you're wondering :p)

There is nothing about the Blackouts that would make me change my EMG60(N)/EMG81(B) set.

I'm not going to go into sound descriptions, since that's silly because we all have our own, but lets just say that compared to an EMG the Blackouts sound a bit dull to my ears.

Still, I wouldn't use actives for anything but metal, since PAFs and passives in general smoke them!

BigAl said:
lailer75 said:
ryjan said:

A beginners active? In what way?
sorry, iwas drinking and had a hard time expressing myself :D what i meant to say is they are actives for people who don`t care for the general flatness of emgs, most notably the 81. on the other hand dimarzio has the flip side of the coin. the deactivaters are passives with the sound of actives.
Jackie said:
There is nothing about the Blackouts that would make me change my EMG60(N)/EMG81(B) set.

I'm not going to go into sound descriptions, since that's silly because we all have our own, but lets just say that compared to an EMG the Blackouts sound a bit dull to my ears.

Still, I wouldn't use actives for anything but metal, since PAFs and passives in general smoke them!

agreed!!

Just an update guys. I've installed the Blackouts in my LP and could not be happier. It just sounds brutal now. I was surprised by how well they handled the cleans too. Really jangly high notes but fairly compressed lows. You need to eq some bass in there but that isn't an issue on Mark V :p. All in all, a fantastic upgrade. And I agree with the point about your own sound, if you can get it with epi pups then you've got it. I'm really happy I've found mine.

Latest posts

Back