sell stuff to buy Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabies

Reaction score
so there are a lot of happy Mark V threads recently.

Been pretty happy with my Rivera S120 (overall one of the best tube amps I've ever played/owned).

But I really would like to try and maybe buy a Mark V.

So I have some gear I can sell to cover the expensive purchase:

- Ibanez RG1570
- 90's Mesa half-back 4x12 cab w/ MC12 spkrs (badass but I don't use it anymore)
- JMP1
- maybe the Rivera S120?

That would leave me with the Epi Elitist LP, TC electronics fx unit (GMajor), Monster power conditioner, Korg rack tuner.

0) Is it really worth it considering I just bought a Fender SCXD (6V6-loaded, good for cleans) and I'm a blues, dorian, mixolydian addicted rock/metal/funk/jazz (fusion) player (think Miles Davis kind of blue, Jane's addiction, RHCP BSSM, John Scofield, Michael Jackson, RATM, some metal)?

1) Does the Mark V's ch 2 & 3 hi-gain modes sound good (retains tonal integrity, not mushy) with jazz chords (jazz chords can get muddy with some amps with too much gain/compression like my JMP-1).

2) And I'd *mostly* use the Mark V in low power, recto mode (10 watts?)

3) 4xEL34's are required. I've tried 6L6's with recto and Mark IV in the past and don't like the sound compared to EL34's or KT77's (except for cleans).

I think the Mark V with EL34's and some new preamp tubes is tough to beat. I've owned A LOT of high $$$$ amps and it's the happiest I've been with my tone. Mesa 6L6's don't do this amp justice IMO.

bradg said:
I think the Mark V with EL34's and some new preamp tubes is tough to beat. I've owned A LOT of high $$$$ amps and it's the happiest I've been with my tone. Mesa 6L6's don't do this amp justice IMO.

Hey man, new to the Mark V as of two weeks ago. Do the EL34's really make a difference? I know they sound great, as I have some Ruby EL 34's in My VH4S. Do you recommend stock Mesa EL34's or other brands? Thanks.

Play one and that will answer you questions about the amp. Funny thing is I had to play three different mark v amps over several months to make sure I wanted this amp before I pulled the trigger on the third amp. You know what they say, third time is a charm.

sean106alcon said:
bradg said:

Hey man, new to the Mark V as of two weeks ago. Do the EL34's really make a difference? I know they sound great, as I have some Ruby EL 34's in My VH4S. Do you recommend stock Mesa EL34's or other brands? Thanks.

I've tried Tung Sol EL34B's and Winged C EL34's. The TS's were a tad bassy and darker but a huge improvement. The Winged C's are just right IMO and sound a little more complex in the midrange and tighter on the lows.

I do think 34's make a huge difference with this amp. They seem to make it sing more like the old Mark IV I had. Maybe some Winged C 6L6's would sound just as good but I think the Mesa 6L6's and stock Mesa preamp tubes kind of suck in the Mark V and leave a lot to be desired. This amp is capable of much better tones with a couple hundred bucks in new tubes. YMMV.

Back