Sell my Rect-O-Verb 2 for an older 2 Channel Dual Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfguitar!

Reaction score
I'm simply looking for random opinions here, especially from those who have both, or have had both. While I am generally satisfied with the Rect-O-Verb Combo, I do feel it lacks guts at times. I typically break out the Mesa for a gritty jam session as do most. I play with a few guys and they have complained about my volume level - as in turn it up! :shock: Anyway, I was over at a buddies house tonight and took his Triple for a spin once again. Unreal. It further confirmed my opinion that Mesas are the best bang for the buck for non-botique "distortion" amps. I know the The Dual Rectifier is considered the most popular model, and it is capable of that extra power I need while providing either silicone diode or tube rectification (vs. my SD only combo). Doing some reading I have confirmed what I once read - that the old two channel Duals are considered to have the best sound. I'm thinking of selling the Combo and getting an old Blackface Dual. Call me nuts, but I also think there is going to be a collectable factor at some point here. These babies are modern day classics.

I had a rectoverb 2 head for about 2 weeks, won it in a auction with cab, I really only wanted the cab but decided to check out the head before I sold it to see if i liked it better then my two channel

Now to be fair the one i put it up against was a very very early dual recto (R0005) which has a different circuit and sound then most dual channel recto's. I also have a dual Recto S/N R0394, Which is a different beast then R0005, but the R0394 is closer to the normal 2 channel recto.

Anyway with that being said like you have probaly read, the newer recto's have more buzz, where the older recto's are more organic. I couldnt stand the way the rectoverb sounded compared to the other two recto's.

Funny thing is, my first recto was a 3 channel dual and i loved it, then got tired of trying to get rid of the buzz. Sold off all my recto's and played bogners for awhile. Then i got my first 2 channel and fell in love, just to much better.

Anyway, good thing about the two channel recto's, is they can be had cheap still, and you can bring them down to 50 watts by pulling two of the tubes. If you have a cab that is 8 ohms or higher this can be done, however cant be done with a 4 ohm cab.

Your 50-watt Rectoverb should be loud enough for any gig on the planet. Those amps are very powerful and they're capable of playing on the biggest stages in the world. I can't think of a single situation where a super loud 50-watt Recoverb wouldn't work.

Is something wrong with it? Could it be that you're not tweaking it enough to get it to cut through when you're with your friends?

Chris

i have to second both of the above posts.

1) your rectoverb should be loud enough to blow out every instrument in the band. it may be broken if it's not.....

2) the old 2channel rectifiers have the sweetest guitar tone i've ever tasted!

Thanks to all.. We let me restate things this way.. Yes, the amp is loud, very loud! The place where we practice has no limit to volume, and we like to rock! I took the time to dive into the owners manual when I bought the amp (once again it's a Rect-O-Verb 2 Combo). I am able to get great sounds in a number of different fashions. What I'm really trying to convey is that once I push the amp really hard it starts to sound bad, thus I am forced to back off the volume. I can't stand a loud amp if it's not "singing". My drummer is 15-18 feet away and I point the amp right at him. I push the amp as hard as I can while still maintaining a decent sound. FYI, for "heavy jamming loudness" I adjust the Output first, then Master, then Gain. In that order. I keep the Reverb and Prescence down low or off, and also understand how treble relates to the amps sound, etc. Could the speaker be damaged? Is the Dual 2 Channel as versitle as my Rect-O-Verb? I'm positive it could get me over this "hump" I describe. Any further opinons........???

Before doing anything I would see if you could borrow a extension cab from someone, either a 2x12 closed back or a 4x12. More then likley with the volume you are pushing the speakers in the combo to much and that is the noise you are not likeing.

With an extention cab you will be fine and be able to tell if you like it or not, plus you will get more thump then you will with the open back combo.

As to heads I gues it depends on what you like, the older 2 channel recto's are better gain, smoother and just sounds better. Not to mention the choice of either tube or diode rec, 50 watts more which equals more headroom, not really to much more volume.

However the rectoverb has a great clean plus the reverb, now the reverb is not a big thing in my book as a pedal can do exactly what i want anyway. If i do cleans i prefer a chorus over reverb any day anyway.

Surfguitar! said:
Thanks to all.. We let me restate things this way.. Yes, the amp is loud, very loud! The place where we practice has no limit to volume, and we like to rock! I took the time to dive into the owners manual when I bought the amp (once again it's a Rect-O-Verb 2 Combo). I am able to get great sounds in a number of different fashions. What I'm really trying to convey is that once I push the amp really hard it starts to sound bad, thus I am forced to back off the volume. I can't stand a loud amp if it's not "singing". My drummer is 15-18 feet away and I point the amp right at him. I push the amp as hard as I can while still maintaining a decent sound. FYI, for "heavy jamming loudness" I adjust the Output first, then Master, then Gain. In that order. I keep the Reverb and Prescence down low or off, and also understand how treble relates to the amps sound, etc. Could the speaker be damaged? Is the Dual 2 Channel as versitle as my Rect-O-Verb? I'm positive it could get me over this "hump" I describe. Any further opinons........???

I would agree with trying an extension cabinet as well. Try to pick up a 2x12 recto cab or something, anyways you will be needing it still if you decide you want the 2 channel recto anway.

I actually failed to mention that I bought (and sold) another open back extention 1x12, it didn't enhance the sound much at all. I really think you guys have nailed it with the closed back cab option, and yes V30's are what I would go for. I've never owned a half stack or extension cabs (aside from my '63 Bassman). I guess I hadn't factored this in. I've always had combos.

Anyway, would someone educate me as to what is meant when people say "older Duals". What years or time frame are we talking about? In other words, what am I looking for ideally, I do want the sound that is described here in this thread when discussing the older heads.

I suspect I'll buy a cab first, and then the Dual so I can A/B the Rect-O-Verb and Dual.

Closed back cab does make a huge difference, you are talking night and day between closed and open back cab. If you are anything like me, you would probaly love the 2x12 and die when hearing a 4x12, so much better but also depends on style of music.

Older duals refer to the 2 channel heads, alot tigther and more organic sounding. What i mean by more organic is it is a smoother distortion, not as much buzz as the newer 3 channel and they are tighter and more articulate.

Now if you find one in the first 500 you are even better off, however since you are use to a rectoverb you would probaly be happy with just any 2 channel dual and you can get them alot cheaper then the newer 3 channel.

You can actualy pick up a 2 channel dual from anywhere from $850 to $1000 on average where the 3 channel will be $1000 to $1300 on average. Of course these prices depend on condition and with the 3 channel ones, how old they are. I think in 2005 mesa started doing the 5 year warrenty that is transferrible, so of course the newer 3 channel's go for more.

Surfguitar! said:
I actually failed to mention that I bought (and sold) another open back extention 1x12, it didn't enhance the sound much at all. I really think you guys have nailed it with the closed back cab option, and yes V30's are what I would go for. I've never owned a half stack or extension cabs (aside from my '63 Bassman). I guess I hadn't factored this in. I've always had combos.

Anyway, would someone educate me as to what is meant when people say "older Duals". What years or time frame are we talking about? In other words, what am I looking for ideally, I do want the sound that is described here in this thread when discussing the older heads.

I suspect I'll buy a cab first, and then the Dual so I can A/B the Rect-O-Verb and Dual.

you definitely need to try a closed back cab...with an open back combo, a lot of the sound gets lost and dissipates into the air. a closed back unit will project the sound forward like a rocket or laser beam. your drummer will beg you to turn down...

as for the older rectos, the first 500 had different circuit boards and transformers, resulting in an incredibly sweet tone. they are very aggressive, yet smooth. lots of attack and tightness. they also have lots of clarity, meaning you can play jazz chords with lots of gain and hear the notes come through.

other 2channels feature a lot of the same as above, but to a lesser degree. i don't think you can go wrong with any.

HOWEVER, i really don't think it's your amp. it's the speaker combo that's killing you.

Latest posts

Back