Sell me on a MArk IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
I'm no stranger to Mesa and tube amps. I'm sure there are several more senior members who remember me (Silverwulf, El Pelotero, Platy, JF Olmalycat, fluff191, 94Tremoverb if I forgot anyone I apologize.....) but I lurk more than post lately.

I've owned a Rectoverb, 2 CH DR, 2x12 and 4x12 Rectifier cabs. 3 years ago (almost to the day) I bought a DSL 50 and it's still my go to amp. My other gear is a VTM 120 and 60 - modded for EL34's. My set up is this DSL50/5150 cab VTM 120/1960A with Digitech GSP1101 (controlled by a Roland FC300) with the amps either selected or in stereo by way of a Radial ig Shot.

I've played one Mark IV in my life and really enjoyed it. They've been on my mind as of late. I'm curious how well the Mark IV will integrate with the GSP 1101. Any one using this combo? I love the combination of EL34's(dsl 50) and 6L6's (VTM120) running at the same time. What non mesa tube do your guys have experience with Mark Iv in Simul-Class?

I'm not opposed to picking up another Mesa 4x12 but was curious what Cabs guys run with the Mark IV and why? I'm kind of leaning toward a Mark Iv with a Stiletto cab...

Let me know what you thing.

I run my Mark IV with JJ6l6 and SED =C= EL34's. I've gone through a ton of cabs trying to find the right match for what I'm trying to do and settled with a Marshall MF400 oversize 4x12 with G12K-100 speakers. This cab really lends to the bottom end giving my IV a more beefy rhythm sound while the EL34's in the outter sockets keeps the midrange thick. Funny you should ask about a GSP1101 with it. I'm probably getting one on Monday. I'll let you know how it does .

The Mark IV will solve all your problems, as well as reduce your electrical bill and help contribute to world peace.

As to whether you'll like the sound of it or not, I can't say as that's kind of a personal thing.

screamingdaisy said:
The Mark IV will solve all your problems, as well as reduce your electrical bill and help contribute to world peace.

As to whether you'll like the sound of it or not, I can't say as that's kind of a personal thing.

It's funny that you say that. When I bought the VTM's I was looking for a JCM 800 tone. The DSL is close but to me it's more modern and higher gain. The VTM satisfies my craving for the JCM 800 tone. I had thought it would be nice as a hobbyist to go down to the basement and play one amp or the other. I thought it would also preserve tube life by not playing one amp all the time.

Problem was it got to be a pain to hook and unhook amps, not to mention I blew some fuses on the DSL not having it hooked up to a load owning more heads than cabs. Solved that problem buying a cab for each head. I then got the radial big shot so that I did not have to plug and unplug amps. What I found was that I really liked the tone of both amps running at the same time...thus 6 power tubes and 8 preamp tubes were running a the same time!

ryjan said:
I run my Mark IV with JJ6l6 and SED =C= EL34's. I've gone through a ton of cabs trying to find the right match for what I'm trying to do and settled with a Marshall MF400 oversize 4x12 with G12K-100 speakers. This cab really lends to the bottom end giving my IV a more beefy rhythm sound while the EL34's in the outter sockets keeps the midrange thick. Funny you should ask about a GSP1101 with it. I'm probably getting one on Monday. I'll let you know how it does .

I run Winged C's in the DSL and Svetana 6L6's in the VTM. Really like those. The g12K-100 evolved from the G12K-85's that originally came in the Peavey M cabs made for the VTM line. Been looking for one of those cabs for a long time. Interesting that you mention those. How do they sound at lower volumes? The GSP1101 is a great unit with minor draw backs. The Wah, Harmonizer, and most (not all) of the amp models stink. It really works well with any amp that has a series loop. IME experience it works OK with parallel loops just takes more tweaking. The challenge with the GSP will be controlling the Mark IV's channels. PLease let me know how this works out for you and what the solution was.

clutch71 said:
It's funny that you say that. When I bought the VTM's I was looking for a JCM 800 tone. The DSL is close but to me it's more modern and higher gain. The VTM satisfies my craving for the JCM 800 tone. I had thought it would be nice as a hobbyist to go down to the basement and play one amp or the other. I thought it would also preserve tube life by not playing one amp all the time.

Problem was it got to be a pain to hook and unhook amps, not to mention I blew some fuses on the DSL not having it hooked up to a load owning more heads than cabs. Solved that problem buying a cab for each head. I then got the radial big shot so that I did not have to plug and unplug amps. What I found was that I really liked the tone of both amps running at the same time...thus 6 power tubes and 8 preamp tubes were running a the same time![/quote]

I was being a bit toung and cheek. I'm sure you're aware of that... I just thought I'd point it out.

And I know what you mean about swapping heads on a cab all the time. I also did the same thing, and I also prefer the sound of two amps running at once (although it's a Mark V and Dual Recto in my case). I try not to do it too often however, as I don't like to drag a lot of gear around so I don't want to get used to the sound they make.

And oddly enough now that I re-read your first post.... I also switched from a Recto to a British amp a number of years back (switched to Orange and sold my Recto/Mark III in 2005/2006). I liked it, but I felt like I was missing something. I liked the more 'vintage' tone, yet I kept trying to make them sound like a Recto. I eventually sold/traded the couple of Orange heads I had for another Recto and Mark V. The results were lukewarm until I bought another Recto cab, which completed the sonic package. My Orange cab was too bright with the Recto and too muddy with the Mark V... they sounded great with other amps, just emphasized the wrong frequencies with those amps. Getting another Recto 4x12 smoothed the brightness up while clearing up the bottom end.

Anyway, that's my story. Sorry for the length, I'm sick at home and kind of bored...

clutch71 said:
I run Winged C's in the DSL and Svetana 6L6's in the VTM. Really like those. The g12K-100 evolved from the G12K-85's that originally came in the Peavey M cabs made for the VTM line. Been looking for one of those cabs for a long time. Interesting that you mention those. How do they sound at lower volumes? The GSP1101 is a great unit with minor draw backs. The Wah, Harmonizer, and most (not all) of the amp models stink. It really works well with any amp that has a series loop. IME experience it works OK with parallel loops just takes more tweaking. The challenge with the GSP will be controlling the Mark IV's channels. PLease let me know how this works out for you and what the solution was.
The G12K's sound is fairly consistant when it comes to volume changes because it's impossible to get any speaker breakup. Very deep, tight speaker similar to a C90 to my ears but they have their own character. As far as changing channels with the GSP, I'm going to run the 4 cable thing and only use the Mark's lead channel because the clean amp models on the GSP kicka ***. Down the road I'll get an amp gizmo or something to change the channels via midi. Right now I'm dropping 400 bones on a toy right before Christmas so I don't want to piss the wife off anymore. :lol:

Hey,

Combo owner here.

I have the gsp, 2 years now, more or less. Works good with the IV, but ry2 has a funky hiss in it if I try to use the IV and gsp together. Both pre amp's setup 7.

Now, the IV on its own is a killer amp. I still can't believe all the sounds there are in it. Is it perfect¿¿ almost!!!

I like all 6l6's. =C's= are great. But, been using 420's from China as of late. Lasting well, I play about 6hrs a week. They are cheap.

Mick

Back