Seeking advice for Studio 22+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodger916

Reaction score
Ithaca, NY...10 sq miles surrounded by reality!
(Note: I also posted this in the Modern Amps forum)

I got to play one last month and was smitten. I liked the tone and portability (weight), and the output is perfect for small venues and practice.

Could those familiar with these amps describe the pro's and con's, and any other helpful advice before I buy one. Thanks in advance.

Frank

I had one of these a few years ago, I sold it to get a .50 caliber, but I never did. A while ago I decided to get one again and so did some research. I actually ended up buying a mark iv instead, but anyway...

As far as I can tell, these are the variations:

-With or without graphic eq, of course.

-The "+" has a lead master volume, otherwise they're pretty much identical. (one more knob on the front) It helps if you're going to channel switch live.

-Look in the back, some have an integrated short reverb inside the chassis, some (later ones?) have an external one on the right side. I would prefer one with the external reverb, if nothing else it's easier to service it if the reverb is not in the way. (and there is more space for switches and knobs in the back!) You could also replace the reverb pan with a longer one if you want.

This is a great amp! I used to love it, and I'm sad I sold it. With the iv, I have no excuse to buy more mesas right now, but if I see one nearby, I'm gonna snatch it! I did a few mods to mine, nothing essential, but I was just starting out in amp electronics so I couldn't help myself... If you know what you're doing:

It would be very easy to incorporate a lead gain, (just replace the 500k resistor to ground following the lead boost with a 1M and put a 1M pot in parallell. This is exactly how the Subway is set up. I would put it in the back.) and the "if only" mid control of the subway amps is actually a classic fender mod; replace the 10k mid pot with a 25k to have an option for more mids. These amps share quite a few design ideas. In the power stage, I installed a triode switch, It made the amp a little bit softer and saggier which was nice at home, just like the iv.

I was planning to put a Celestion neodymion speaker in too, for light weight, and all amps i've tried with them have been fantastic! A bit like how the EV adds clear, loud tone to the iv combo, but without the weight...

Good hunting!

dodger916 said:
(Note: I also posted this in the Modern Amps forum)

I got to play one last month and was smitten. I liked the tone and portability (weight), and the output is perfect for small venues and practice.

Could those familiar with these amps describe the pro's and con's, and any other helpful advice before I buy one. Thanks in advance.

Frank

Some people complain about the shared EQ but I don't think it is a big problem on such a small wattage amp. Besides, if your amp has the GEQ, your problem gets even smaller.

I would add a fourth volume pot at the back of the chassis. With this "Lead Drive" pot, you can dial the gain of the clean and the lead channels independently (it resembles more of a Mark II and III).

Regards
Daniel

I have had a Studio 22+ for 20 years. Recently bought an Express 5:25. While it's more versatile, and I'm getting to llike it more and more, I still think the Studio has better tone.

tonejam said:
I have had a Studio 22+ for 20 years. Recently bought an Express 5:25. While it's more versatile, and I'm getting to llike it more and more, I still think the Studio has better tone.
Yes...I really like the tone from the 22+. As a Mark II lover, the shared tone pots don't really bother me, especialy with the graphic in the lead channel. It's probably the best "pound-for-pound" tone machine out there.

I strongly encourage you to look into a DC-3. It a very similar amp with a couple of major upgrades.

4 EL-84's instead of 2 - about 35 watts. Plenty loud enough for gigs
Two completely separate Preamps one voiced for rhythm and one for lead
Separate gain & masters for each preamp to manage the volume for each channel.
Mark Style GEQ
Celestion V-30 stock speaker

These amps have been selling in the $500-600 range lately. If you like the .22 you will LOVE the DC.

There is also a DC-2 (AKA Studio Caliber) which has all of the above except 2 less EL-84's and no GEQ or V-30. Also a great amp but usually sells for about the same price as a DC-3. I'd go with the 3 if you can find one.

GD_NC said:
I strongly encourage you to look into a DC-3. It a very similar amp with a couple of major upgrades.

4 EL-84's instead of 2 - about 35 watts. Plenty loud enough for gigs
Two completely separate Preamps one voiced for rhythm and one for lead
Separate gain & masters for each preamp to manage the volume for each channel.
Mark Style GEQ
Celestion V-30 stock speaker

These amps have been selling in the $500-600 range lately. If you like the .22 you will LOVE the DC.

There is also a DC-2 (AKA Studio Caliber) which has all of the above except 2 less EL-84's and no GEQ or V-30. Also a great amp but usually sells for about the same price as a DC-3. I'd go with the 3 if you can find one.
Yeah... I was leaning in that direction. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back