Second MkIII on the way

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoG

Reaction score
Just snagged a loaded green stripe combo, good condition, with a custom Clydesdale road case off CL. Guy was asking Cdn$1K for the amp and case and I talked him down a little--a "going rate" deal, no better, no worse.

Not sure when I will be picking it up as it's a bit of a drive, but I'm stoked anyway. :D

Nice score, can't wait to hear your feedback on the differences between the stripes.

I'm loving my III Blue. Just an awesome amp, world class!

I'm liking my Mark III.
It crossed my mind to have another one like Schultz's piano's on Peanuts.

Just put about an hour on my new green stripe combo.

First impressions compared to my purple--

AAAAAHHHHH OW OW OW THIS SUCKS

Oh, wait, previous owner had Presence dialed up to 7 :shock: Take that down to 1. Better. With the Presence up that high all the bass was sucked out in favour of a really stiff, stinging upper midrange.

R1 tones are the same, allowing for hotter tubes in this amp (he's got all Mesa 12AX7s and I usually run JJ ECC83s in v1-3 and 12AT7s in V4-5.) However, the channel is louder-- I can actually play clean AND loud, which I can't on the purple.

Lead on this amp seems a wee bit tighter and smoother than the purple, but, again, I think tubes would make a bigger difference. Just like the purple, the fun doesn't start until the master is over 3.5. Compared to the purple it may sound a wee bit better at lower volumes, but still not, y'know, actually good.

I don't like this R2 as much as the one on the purple. The one on the purple takes some work but has great big round, lively tones in it. The R2 on the green is thinner and has more gain; it *is* more Marshall-like, in a bad way. I keep playing the riffs from "Love Removal Machine" by the Cult because nothing else sounds very good. I don't know if you do R2 volume mods on green stripes, but this one hasn't had it.

However, since R1 and Lead volumes match a lot more closely on this amp, I don't need to use R2 as a clean channel like I do on my purple. the purple is a 3-channel amp but R1 is too quiet; the green is a 3-channel amp except one of the channels sucks.

They are slightly different amps, but I think that except for R2 there's nothing that would be more different than different cabs or preamp tubes.

More impressions when I have changed tubes in the green stripe and tried it through the same cabs I use for my purple. Note-- this is a combo with the stock Black Shadow; I usually play my purple into a 1x12 with an original EVM-12L.

hahaha holy crap, the guy said there were mesa preamp tubes in here. I didn't realise he may mean the ORIGINALS. Seriously. Five tubes with very faint grey "MESA ECC83" lettering on them.

I know, I've just never had it demonstrated quite so graphically before. The date on this amp is like July '89, and I don't know if the V1 shield had ever been removed before.

Okay, some more good times this AM for all you MkIII fiends.

I think overall the best way to put it is that the green stripe has more gain, clarity, and definition at the expense of some warmth and harmonic complexity. Even if you turn down the gain stages on the green it still feels 'stiff' compared to the purple. The green is also much brighter, even with the exact same 'dark' JJ preamp tubes.

And, the little transient fade between channel switches (that the green has and the purple doesn't) is a total 'how did I ever live without this' thing.

Okay, I won't spout off any more until my purple comes back from Mesa and I can a/b properly.

Latest posts

Back