Schematic for 50 Caliber+ Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

futurestar

Reaction score
Hi there,

I purchased an old 50 caliber+ head a while back, and have been using it mainly as a power amp for my POD XT Live. The past couple of weeks I had a chance to A/B it with a Dual Caliber head in the studio and the sound is completly different. Just so you know, I owned a 50 Cal + when they first came out and used it on the road for about a year (around 1989/90). That head had tons of gain - that creamy Boogie lead tone. The one I bought recently sounds like someone may have bypassed one or two of the preamp tubes. It definitely doesn't have that signature Boogie "singing sustain" at all. I replaced the tubes but no difference, so I'm using it as a power amp for now. I'm trying to find a schematic for this head to see if I can figure out if it was modded by someone. Anyone know where to find one?

Thanks,

Mark

Here ya go:

http://www.tubefreak.com/mesa.htm#cal

I've got one, too.

Thanks bro, now I need to find someone who knows how to fix it if it has been modded. :shock:

futurestar said:
Thanks bro, now I need to find someone who knows how to fix it if it has been modded. :shock:

Do you own a soldering iron? :wink:

Seriously, it's about due for a recap job anyway, although the problem you are having doesn't sound like PS caps. It just doesn't have the gain you are used to? Do a search for .50 or something like that, I seem to recall there is an issue with the effects loop jack or something like that going bad in these amps.

I did a search, but really didn't find anything that applies to my situation. There was one post about the send/return jacks having an effect on someone's level cutting in and out, but in my case it's just that the preamp doesn't have the gain of other Calibers I've played or owned. Thanks for the suggestion though. :D

Mark

Latest posts

Back