Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domct203

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I finally got my hands on a Schecter C1 Hellraiser that I had been gas’n for. It’s Black Cherry, with the Floyd Rose Tremolo. Although I honestly feel its over-priced ($849), it really is a nice guitar none-the-less.

I don’t think any currently produced guitar could replace my Les Paul in tone or playability, and that was not the intent of buying the Schecter. I needed a second guitar to take some load off the Les Paul, and to accommodate the different tunings I’ve been using.

The Hellraiser is visually stunning IMO. The quilted maple top and headstock (it’s actually a thin veneer) looks great as well as the Abalone binding (very thin as well). Yes, I’ve seen better, but I’ve seen worse as well. The body appears to be two edge-joined pieces of solid wood (no plywood). Fret access is great to the 20th + and the neck is comfortable. The frets are lower than I like but that’s my tastes. The Abalone cross markers on the fretboard look great and fit their inlays well.

The set-up out of the box left a lot to be desired, the Floyd Rose needed a tension adjustment (guitar kept going flat), the action was so low it was extremely buzzy, and the intonation was so-so. After an hour or so with my tuner the guitar really stays in tune now, better than I expected. I’ve got a Tremsetter on the way as well. The frets could use a slight crowning and polishing for my tastes, and a leveling would help also.

The EMG’s are great, and the new 81TW coil splitter is a nice touch. The split-able 89 at the neck is nice as well. It’s your basic 81/85 setup in humbucking, and when split, you have a pair of SA’s, and they sparkle like you would expect.

Battery access is a pop-open door. Too bad the jack plate is plastic. Tuners are Grovers. The serial number is printed on.

Black paint is used on the top corner edge of the body and neck as a binding edging, and it’s a little sloppy at spots like it is hand painted, not too bad but still sloppy and a little cheap looking.

I’ve had the guitar for a week now and I’m just starting to get comfortable with it. It’s tuned to standard (E) tuning.

So far I’m happy with my purchase. The guitar plays well, sounds good and is comfortable to play when worn for an hour or two at rehearsal. I just wish it cost $100-$150 less maybe. I may have been happier with the price if the jack plate was metal, the black paint edging was neater, and if the OFR was setup better (the set-up is done in the US!). The guitar compliments my Les Paul nicely (which stays in drop-D flat now), but we’ll have to see if it will hold up to 35 years of use like the ’73 Les Paul I’ve had since ’84.

In summary, the guitar is well constructed and it looks, plays and sounds good, but is slightly over-priced, even though it comes with an Original Floyd Rose and EMGs.

Dom

i have tried those out before and was impressed. I just found the neck was too thick for me.

Either way congrats on the new axe. :D

Pics now :twisted:

I saw the Hellraiser at GC last month for $649. I don't remember if it was FR equipped or not. I tried one, and I'm not a fan of EMGs, so I went with the C1 Classic. If it wasn't for the EMGs, I would have bought the Hellrasier.

Overall, I think they are well built guitars, and are a pretty good value.

Congrats on your new axe!

Glad to hear you're happy with your new axe.
The fret work has been a complaint from some new
Schecter owners. Seems the set-up would have been
caught by the QC. They are stunning guitars.
Also seems like the price has climbed.
Congrats!!

Tubegear Junkie

Here's some pics. Sorry, the camera's not the greatest:

IM002436.jpg

IM002445.jpg

IM002446.jpg

100_0338.jpg

I'm really liking this guitar.

Dom

domct203

I've noticed that the ATX model comes with
a metal plate input jack. Maybe you can get one from
Schecter and replace your current one.
They look to be the same- should be an easy swap. :wink:

Tubegear Junkie

Tubegear Junkie said:
domct203

I've noticed that the ATX model comes with
a metal plate input jack. Maybe you can get one from
Schecter and replace your current one.
They look to be the same- should be an easy swap. :wink:

Tubegear Junkie

Great tip! Thanks, I'll check into that.

Dom

I have a Black C-1 Hellraiser without the tremolo bridge. It came with a metal jack plate but the screws used on it were a bit discolored. It worked fine when I first got it but for some reason it has a weird tone to it now. It's sorta bassy. Any tips? The Black Cherry looks great by the way.

AustinK said:
Did you check to see if the battery was good?

Welcome to the board. Do you have a boogie?

Hey thanks. Yeah I replaced the battery on it a couple times and it didn't do anything to help me but for some reason the problem seemed to just disappear for a little while. Well now it's back and I don't know why. I don't have a mesa boogie (yet) but I have tried it on a couple different amps. I tried it on a Peavy and a Line6. I let my friend borrow it for a while and I'm thinking it was because of something he did but that doesn't really matter to me I just want to fix it.

Nice, I was gasing for one of those for a while too for no particular reason. Quilt top, abalone binding, 24 frets, FR trem decent construction -- you don't usually find all that for under 1k. I think it's a pretty good deal.

I tried the exact model you have at GC. I was hoping to have a love at first sight moment, but it didn't snag me (this time!). It was still pretty nice though and it's really sweet looking. Congrats!

Latest posts

Back